Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok guys one more question before I pick up my car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok guys one more question before I pick up my car.

I posted a thread yesterday about my car being finished and ready for pick up. I was told that the TR224 112lsa is fine to drive around until I get a dyno tune next week. The guy that built my engine said for me not to get on it any until I get it tuned because my new heads flow much more than the old. What is the worse that could happen. Should I avoid driving the car?
Thanks for any info.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just drive it easy... i did after I did my torquer 2 because I couldn't get the tune done the first week
Old 07-03-2008, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been driving my 224 cammed car with 5.3 heads milled for almost a full year without tune. Several races under my belt & not a single issue. It's not as bad with the 224 cam as it is on a cam in the 230 range. Which is one of the main reasons it was so popular back in the begining of the LS1 scene.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you really get on it, you're asking for trouble from what i've read on here...
To the best of my understanding:
If your new heads flow significantly more than the old ones, then you run the risk of running the car far too lean as soon as you get on it, which makes the car run extremely hot, potentially overheating extremely fast and destroying the motor.
But, if you're being gentle to it, that shouldn't be a problem.

Once again, this is just what I understand from what I have read. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 for taking it easy, you'll have no problems.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

i drove my 232/234 car for a few months before i got it tuned...
RIGHT after i installed my cam and new springs, i romped on it once to feel it.... but it shuold definitly be tuned before you get on it
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. The heads are the main reason for me asking this. YES they flow much more than the stock. They are cnc, ported and had a valve job. They were at the machine shop for a month. I had ferra valve (I think thats how you spell it) installed and the heads machined to match.

My original heads were the stock 289. The new heads are 243. The shop that did the work has a great rep and long waiting list. I really cant wait to drive it.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Def heat cycle the springs.

With that small of a cam, its not really going to max out the tune that is stock.

The PCM will most likely retard the timing ALOT.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Def heat cycle the springs.
How do I do that?

Is like breaking in the rear end. heat then cool. I thought that you did not need to that with the new springs?

Last edited by tasilver; 07-03-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let the car warm up to operating temp, do not romp on the throttle, i.e. no wide open throttle runs (WOT), do with regularly and you can avoid broken springs. Aftermarket springs are stronger, but more brittle and CAN break if not treated properly.

More to the point, its 12 degrees out side, clean roads, you start your car, immediately put into gear, do down the road and blast on the car. A good recipe for decreased spring life.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
With that small of a cam, its not really going to max out the tune that is stock.
Correct. Mine runs rich as hell right now. If people remember back far enough this cam grind was one of the most popular at one time before everyone jumped on the big cam bandwagon.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a mail order tune right now. I am not sure how much that differs from the stock tune. Sounds like I should be fine as long as dont WOT it. Damn after 3 months of waiting to get my car back I guess I can wait three days for a dyno tune. Just sucks waiting I have no patience left.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not gonna tell you to go blasting WOT if you don't feel comfy about it, but personally I believe with this cam your fine to do so. Your just gonna be leaving power on the table. You could have drove it just fine without a mail order tune too.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

better to be safe but at half pedal you'll feel a difference with the new setup so you'll get a little appreciation for your work and money but after the tune your grin will be from ear to ear and your first tank of gas will go about 135 miles..... ask me how I know ..LOL
the tr224 112 lsa is still one of the best all around street/strip cams on the shelf today
Old 07-03-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I'm not gonna tell you to go blasting WOT if you don't feel comfy about it, but personally I believe with this cam your fine to do so. Your just gonna be leaving power on the table. You could have drove it just fine without a mail order tune too.
The mail order tune was done before the cam and heads and the 12 bolt. I had it done after the LT headers and when I ran 3:73 gears in my 10 bolt.
I will play with it see how the car feels. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I have it back. Damn a huge difference. I had to get on it a couple of times. The car is just fast. The valve train is a little loud but with all of the work that went into the heads and the way it runs I can't complain. I had ferra valves installed. I take it to get dyno tuned this week. I wish I did not have to take the little to grans on the way to work there is guy with a 04 GT begging for it every morning (drives like a dick, Thinks he has the fastest thing in VA).

Anyway thinks for all of the input, I have been taking it easy on the TA. I love the sound of this car now. I will post the results after the tune, I do not know what type of dyno the guy is using yet. Soon I will have some track times worth posting too.