Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burn 1.5 quarts every 3000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burn 1.5 quarts every 3000 miles

hey guys i got a issue...i bought this transam last year around this time. Its a 99 with longtube headers and a cam. I was in college all year and didnt drive much so i didnt notice till summer but ever 3000 miles i burn 1.5 quarts maybe slightly more. Ive been told that ls1s burn oil and that the cam and longtubes add to it or something. I also have white smoke pretty much all the time...will the engine be fine as long as i just keep the oil level up or do i have serious problems ahead of me?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Teching In

It is true that Trans Ams have been known to lose some oil between changes...one particular reason is due to the crappy PCV system our cars have. The PCV system likes to take spent gases from combustion and reroute it back into the intake (to decrease emissions, as this spent gas would normally flow out of the exhaust if there was no PCV). As it does this, it also reroutes oil with these spent gases right back into the intake....BAD BAD BAD! It goes without saying that oil mixing with fresh air as it enters the intake not only ruins things like the MAF but also causes carbon/sludge buildup to occur and shorten engine life...AND make the oil level lower, like in your case. What I suggest you do is get a catch can, which takes the oil out of the spent gases before they are reintroduced back into the intake....then, you can check the amount of oil in your catch can periodically and see if that's why your oil level becomes low. If the catch can contains a fair amount of oil when you check it, then you've found where your oil has been going and WHY: due to the crappy PCV system! Along with the catch can, you could also replace the PCV valve (changing the valve should be routine maintenance every so often), and add an oil tube breather.......many people go ahead and delete the PCV system altogether from their cars......
Old 07-08-2008, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Have you done a tune up lately? If not, try and swap PCV valve to GM p/n 12572717...It costs $3.00 at the local dealership, and it cures your problem. I have a 98' and ran into the same issues...fixed it!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by proelky
Have you done a tune up lately? If not, try and swap PCV valve to GM p/n 12572717...It costs $3.00 at the local dealership, and it cures your problem. I have a 98' and ran into the same issues...fixed it!
Yep, I agree with replacing the PCV valve to this other one with the part number mentioned. GM realized how crappy the original PCV valves were on the F-body's and created a different, updated version of the valve...

So if your PCV valve has never been changed during maintenance, it still has the outdated valve on it...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I need my pcv changed soon.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry dumb question but the LS2 would have the updated pcv valve naturally right?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

So I guess even the '02s suffer from the defunct PCV valve? Mine burns oil too, and I just accepted it as one of those quirks that our cars have. I had plans of a catch can (still a good idea), but if this works it'll save me a few coins for a little bit longer.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possible that the piston rings are on their way out, I'd do a compression and leakdown test for each cylinder. Also valve seals could be worn as well allowing oil in.

Temporary fixes that may work.

Running German Castrol 0w30. It's a true 30 weight even at temp unlike other oils which will thin to a 20 weight.

Oil additives that "thicken" the oil. Longshot for these.

I still run the 98 PCV system and the GC 0w30 solved the oil burn issue. At the time I was using Mobil 1 5w30 and went through 1 quart per 1000 miles.

This is NOT a common issue with LSx based cars. This can apply to Trans Ams, GTO, Camaros, Vettes etc anything LSx based. Longtubes and cam don't usually add to the problem nor will they solve anything either. User maintenance and luck of the manufacturing draw are the biggest reasons our engines may or may not burn oil.

There is also an older issue which dealt with mostly Vettes, but would apply somewhat to any LS1 based car, which is the older style pistons had an issue that at certain RPM and engine load the pistons and rings would "flutter". This was caused by a harmonic which would let oil pass the rings quite easily. The only way to fix was to have the pistons changed. It was rare and mostly affected 6 speed vettes due to the gearing and driving in 2nd gear.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Updating my PCV helped a little bit but didnt stop it completely. I would still have to add a quart every 2-3k.

Quick Reply: burn 1.5 quarts every 3000 miles