Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP pulley rebuild....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 945 Likes on 674 Posts

Default ASP pulley rebuild....

Does anyone know if an ASP underdrive pulley/harmonic balancer can be rebuilt? Or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one? I have my motor almost totally assembled and today when I put the balancer on, after tightening it down to around 100 ft.lbs. (I know it isn't final torqued yet!), I just happened to push against it and the pulley moved slightly!! I thought that maybe it didn't go in far enough and was against the key. But this is not the case. The aluminum center is rigid, but I can rotate the outer steel pulley about 3 -5 degrees back and forth, like the key is shot. I can also push/pull it and make it wobble about 1/8"!!! Obviously, this is for..... BUT! Major worry here is that my rotating assembly was balanced with this balancer. I am concerned that if I install a totally different balancer, it may affect the balance factor on the motor. What do you guys think? I have a N/A induction and the pulley has never had any abuse. But it is junk after 30,000 miles. I would re-install my stocker, but it is not keyed and the rotating assembly was not balanced with the stock balancer. I am hoping that if the balancer can be rebuilt, being the original balaner the rotating assembly was balanced with, it will be closer than buying a completely different unit. I don't want to pull the whole motor all the way back down and send out the whole assembly to be re-balanced unless there is simply no other way. I am running a Callies crank with a 4" stroke, so re-installing the original balancer is not an option. Again, please advise. Thanks, guys.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was me I would just get a new one. I wouldn't risk trying to "fix" a $250 underdrive pulley on a motor that's worth thousands more. Also, if your motor was balanced with the underdrive pulley then you should probably just stay with the same one. I don't think you'd have an issue reinstalling the stock one but for the price and piece of mind it's best to use what it the engine was balanced for. Maybe you can get some pics of where the pulley was damaged and post it. I'm sure some good machinists can chime in and let you know where you stand.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most aftermarket dampers are zero balanced. Can you mark its current installation location, remove it and check the balance of only the ASP? If zero balanced then I would replace with an ATI.

Sent you a PM.