Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have used a helicoil to repair crank thread Have a question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default For those that have used a helicoil to repair crank thread Have a question?

I did a search of this and couldn't find what i needed to know. I found a place near me that sells Helicoils. I would just like to know what size I need. I also read that a 16 x 2.0mm tap to try to re-thread might work but none of the stores i needed was opened on Sunday and the stores I went to didn't have the right size Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-13-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to need a tap to helicoil it anyway. This not a job to rush. Try a tread chaser or tap first to try to clean up the threads if they are not too badly damaged otherwise you'll need to drill, tap helicoil ,etc. If you get to that point you may want to leave it to a machine shop. Do you have a machine shop nearby that does good work?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you let me know how you messed up the crank thread? I will be going to be setting my pulley soon and would like to avoid any mistake possible. I bought a pulley setting tool and will be buying a new crank bolt torque down to 240lb, then will reuse my arp crank bolt to 190lbs.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by trsilvias13
Can you let me know how you messed up the crank thread? I will be going to be setting my pulley soon and would like to avoid any mistake possible. I bought a pulley setting tool and will be buying a new crank bolt torque down to 240lb, then will reuse my arp crank bolt to 190lbs.
I am willing to bet that rather then follow the service manual the LS1howto.com method was used. This isn't the first and won't be the last crankshaft messed up because of that.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I am willing to bet that rather then follow the service manual the LS1howto.com method was used. This isn't the first and won't be the last crankshaft messed up because of that.
Mind telling me the correct way to do it? I read on here different method.

The most used so far was 240lbs with old bolt (can i do this with a new one if I dont intend to use it again) to set the pulley, measure between snout and pulley for tolerance, then repeat if necessary. Remove bolt when within range. Insert new bolt (in my case arp) torque to spec (arp is 190lbs, gm bolt is 37lb, then 140*).

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am new to the LS1 motor but not new to cars. Just wanted to do this right the first time around. I even bough a tool made by another forum member that help me push in the pulley instead of using the longer bolt/washer method.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

I feel your pain I had mine break when I was trying to take it off. I spent a lot of time to get it done but it was worth it. Here is the post when I broke mine, it has what I ended up doing plus another guy in the same boat. There is also some good info from members in this post good luck take your time. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...nk+bolt+broken

Quick Reply: For those that have used a helicoil to repair crank thread Have a question?