Sponsored by:

Help Needed Troubleshooting Valvetrane issue. Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Needed Troubleshooting Valvetrane issue. Pictures

Help Needed Troubleshooting Valvetrane issue. Pictures

I have a 1996 Camaro Z28, I bought a 1998 LS1 / M6 setup from a guy on LS1tech and I went and picked it up and everything seemed fine, I was tired so didnt pull the covers but it didnt come with a pan and the bottom end looked good. Well engine was said to have 100k on the engine, came out of a wrecked car and it was from a performance shop so I assumed since the guy worked there it had a tune and was probably raced, no big deal. The guy wouldnt answer my calls or anything afterwards, but I already installed the setup on my car. It starts and runs alright, pops and backfires sometimes but there is alot of valvetrane noise on the passenger side and I may know why. Take note that all electrical and sensors are good, everything else has been tested, I even checked the timing chain but nothing else.

Well the other day I pulled the pushrods and got a piece of glass, rolled them all on there and they seemed fine, theres maybe alittle bit on the tips but I couldnt really tell at all, shouldve used a length checker but Im going to replace those with Comp Cams push rods either way it goes. So im checking everything out and I notice this.

On the passenger side, two springs have been replaced, they were new, the rest looked normal with the discoloring from oil and heat after 100k. When I pulled the pushrods I notcied what looked like heat marks and discoloring like what could be found on a rotor, some were even rough as if they were rubbing against medal. I look on the driverside and there was nothing wrong with the pushrod bores on that side, go to the passenger side and there were 3 of them, there were like double holes on cylinder 6 where they replaced a spring and on both pushrod bores on cylinder 8. They for sure were rubbing, they rubbed through the head and made another hole under that normal hole allowing alot of movement in my valvetrane because the holes are more like guides so when it rubbed through they can probably flex.

Here is an image, not of my head but of a head I found and I modified the bores for the pushrods to show you what I am seeing, the two springs with red circles are the ones replaced.

Another thing, one spring on the driverside has 1 new valve lock. Other than that, no problems on that side.

My question is, what has happened here from what you guys see? I seem to think it could be this;

He bent a pushrod, it broke the springs and grinded into the head and he probably drove it like that back home or something and just replaced the stuff before he sold it to me. He probably replaced the valves or may of have not, dont think he replaced the pushrods but Id think theyd be bent after something like that. I think also that the lifters could have went with this and may of not been replaced, and the cam could have flat lobes in that section, it is a stock motor and stock cam.

What do you guys think, I will take all opinions. I am in the process of tearing this baby down, as in heads and lifters and cam. I am going to replace it all so if anyone has an idea and would like to suggest anything, please let me know.

If there is a new piston then something could of went really wrong.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like they had a couple of bent pushrods from (valves hit the piston),which probably bent the valves .Thats why it backfires on you.They just replaced the bent pushrods and sold it to you.With that many miles on it i would have it rebuilt.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doa leakdown test on it, if there are bent valves, the cylinders with bent valves will not hold air. If thats the case the heads will have to go to the shop for a valve job and new valves.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
Doa leakdown test on it, if there are bent valves, the cylinders with bent valves will not hold air. If thats the case the heads will have to go to the shop for a valve job and new valves.
The heads are garbage 853s and will be replaced with some 241's or 243's that will be freshened up. I did a compression test, all of the cylinders were good but didnt get to do the #8 because i couldnt fit the tester in there, prob test it before i pull that head of or I can just pull the heads and worry about it then because I will just have new heads.

thanks for the input. I prob wont rebuild it but I think fully replacing the whole valvetrane would fix the issue.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man if its been raced I would start fresh big time a slight bore and some rods and pistons wont set you back too much. But I bet a valve kiss a piston. A budget build would cost you mid 1,800 if you shop.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Man if its been raced I would start fresh big time a slight bore and some rods and pistons wont set you back too much. But I bet a valve kiss a piston. A budget build would cost you mid 1,800 if you shop.
not looking to build, the bottom end is good. if there is no cracked piston and the block deck checks out then im good to go. Ill check out those heads you have. I think overhauling the valvetrane will do me some good.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know if those are stock springs in that pictures? mine are beehive and I thougth they were stock but now im thinking they are 918's. If there is any way to tell could someone let me know. Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Im tryin to upload a sided by side comparson but I have a new laptop and it wont load of my 1900 B.C camera. Some one chime for some help? But I did notice that stock springs when lookin from the top are skinny and wont stick out from the retainer but the 918 will they are a little more thicker, Not a big help without pics.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they are 918's I would replace them anyway considering their poor history.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think they are 918's, as I thought the LS1's came with stock beehives, the 918's are thicker with a blue stripe, mine arent.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I just put patriot dual golds on a set of heads and I can tell you that's what you're running. It's an aftermarket dual spring. I can tell by the retainers and locks.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I just put patriot dual golds on a set of heads and I can tell you that's what you're running. It's an aftermarket dual spring. I can tell by the retainers and locks.
Those arent my heads, I made the bores where the pushrods go to emulate mine. Those arent mine.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

My pushrods look like this, are they stock?

but someone had a pic of these claiming to be stock LS1 pushrods.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

I know just about all aftermarket pushrods have a lenth stamp on them and they are black.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Hate to say this man but just by looking at your very first picture, pushrod holes 1,2, and 4 (from left to right) look ovaled out like someone hit some valves. That is exactly what happened to my heads when I downshifted 5th to 2nd at 65 mph. I had to replace my heads. Besides, going from 853 to 243 castings is a GOOD thing
Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Halloran
Hate to say this man but just by looking at your very first picture, pushrod holes 1,2, and 4 (from left to right) look ovaled out like someone hit some valves. That is exactly what happened to my heads when I downshifted 5th to 2nd at 65 mph. I had to replace my heads. Besides, going from 853 to 243 castings is a GOOD thing
Yea this is what im thinking happened. I need to replace the heads, these could be cracked. The head in the picture is not my head but yea my holes look just like that. If it would not rain today I could have pictures up. Thanks