Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm a ricer, need a different boost cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I'm a ricer, need a different boost cam

Let me start off by saying that i'm a ricer, i know. i've got a mild 226/226 .585/.585 114 cam on my car right now. i'm in the process of building a turbo kit so a boost friendly cam I will still need. I know this is a very good cam for boost, but I honestly want a better sounding idle. I know that sounds ricey but for me a total package for a car is to go fast (which it will still do with another cam), look good, and sound good. It just completes the package to have a nice lopey idle with my v8, and I really wish to have that. My current cam has a very mild sounding idle and it just doesn't excite me like a sports car should. Are there any "boost friendly" cams in particular that would fit what i'm trying to accomplish? To me, spending a bit more money to complete the full package of what I want my car to perform/sound like is worth it.

I know that overlap typically isn't good for boost and that is what makes the lopey idle for the most part. I am by no means an expert on this subject though and any/all input would be great.

It is a stock internal'd ls1 with slightly decked/ported 853 heads, beehive springs, upgraded pushrods, and a 70mm turbo. The motor WILL be built to lower compression and forged internals once the turbo kit is built and functional with the bugs worked out.

Driveability is also not an issue. It will be a built th350 weekend warrior, I wouldn't mind it being rough

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited by MDoe8; 07-16-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You're too funny Rice won't get much help here. Although, by your post, you're not a ricer....well maybe a little bit.

That's not a bad cam either; especially for street. If you want a bit more lope, then swap the stock 1.7:1 rockers to 1.8's. This will essentially increase your valve lift to .619. Just make sure that your springs have enough travel so that you don't get coil bind. After that, get rid of the cats, & or get some exhaust cut outs.

Anyway, if you're gonna build a motor, I'd let the engine builder decide what is best for your turbo set-up long before worrying about a lopey idle. That cam of yours really is not a bad cam @ all. Like I said, get rid of the cats & you'll make some noise. Also, a true dual exhaust w/ bullet style mufflers would help. Good-luck
Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boost friendly and lope are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Something like you have right now would be fine, maybe a similar cam on a 112lsa for a little more lope. Or turn the idle down to 600 for a nice chop.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Launching!

lol. I'll be putting the motor together myself. I drove the car around for a while all motor with this setup. It made 410rwhp and definitely didn't have cats lol. Even open headers it didn't lope that much. Perhaps just lowering the idle will do it. Like I said, Sound is part of the package....without a lopey idle, it doesn't sound like a true muscle car (albeit an rx7 muscle car haha)

Originally Posted by LS1-450
You're too funny Rice won't get much help here. Although, by your post, you're not a ricer....well maybe a little bit.

That's not a bad cam either; especially for street. If you want a bit more lope, then swap the stock 1.7:1 rockers to 1.8's. This will essentially increase your valve lift to .619. Just make sure that your springs have enough travel so that you don't get coil bind. After that, get rid of the cats, & or get some exhaust cut outs.

Anyway, if you're gonna build a motor, I'd let the engine builder decide what is best for your turbo set-up long before worrying about a lopey idle. That cam of yours really is not a bad cam @ all. Like I said, get rid of the cats & you'll make some noise. Also, a true dual exhaust w/ bullet style mufflers would help. Good-luck
Old 07-17-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

the hotcam sounds really mean and is a good boost cam because of the overlap but you will loke some power
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Contact Bob at Exotic Performance Plus(sponsor-------->). They have a boost cam with a nasty idle.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Launching!

thanks silverss!

I don't know much in detail about the specs of cams (except the general stuff that eveyone knows). I just like getting recommendations and then building it from there I am not a tuner at all, I wonder if the tune good lower the idle enough to give me that chop with my cam?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

somthing like a 224/230 on a 114 might be a lil more lopy and not have any overlap.....but its gonna raise your powerband up some.....IMO id keep the cam you have...
Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Default you cant be serious

Originally Posted by LS1-450

lift hAs jackshit to do with lope.....overlap determines lope...
Old 07-17-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

go with EPP's forced induction cam
Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could step up to a 228/228 on a 114 LSA. That cam will have some definately lope to it but still work very well for a boost cam. I have heard that cam on a few procharged cars and it gives it a noticeable lope but nothing crazy.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to buy a cam probably from EPP or one with similar specs for my pre-turbo motor. It's nasty. I'd recommend it for you.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

Keep the cam you have a turn the idle down to 600 if you can. Also pull some timing at idle, should chop like a ****.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Launching!

You know, the car always idled at 900..it had virtually no lope. Lowering the idle and messing with the timing would do wonders i'm sure. Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 180ls1
the hotcam sounds really mean and is a good boost cam because of the overlap but you will loke some power
thats my plan 1/2* overlap sounds like a good boost cam
Old 07-19-2008, 05:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by MDoe8
Let me start off by saying that i'm a ricer, i know. i've got a mild 226/226 .585/.585 114 cam on my car right now. i'm in the process of building a turbo kit so a boost friendly cam I will still need. I know this is a very good cam for boost, but I honestly want a better sounding idle. I know that sounds ricey but for me a total package for a car is to go fast (which it will still do with another cam), look good, and sound good. It just completes the package to have a nice lopey idle with my v8, and I really wish to have that. My current cam has a very mild sounding idle and it just doesn't excite me like a sports car should. Are there any "boost friendly" cams in particular that would fit what i'm trying to accomplish? To me, spending a bit more money to complete the full package of what I want my car to perform/sound like is worth it.

I know that overlap typically isn't good for boost and that is what makes the lopey idle for the most part. I am by no means an expert on this subject though and any/all input would be great.

It is a stock internal'd ls1 with slightly decked/ported 853 heads, beehive springs, upgraded pushrods, and a 70mm turbo. The motor WILL be built to lower compression and forged internals once the turbo kit is built and functional with the bugs worked out.

Driveability is also not an issue. It will be a built th350 weekend warrior, I wouldn't mind it being rough

Thanks!
Mike
Look on turbo Buick forums. You will see some huge duration cams with low LSA's.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

230/230 .592/592 112 LSA straight up
6* overlap