Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head bolt holes and FAST questiion

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head bolt holes and FAST questiion

So I plan on using a ground stock bolt to clean out the head bolt holes...in the past ive used a socket and rachet and ran them in and out...takes forever...would it be fine to start by hand then take a cordless drill and run them in and out a couple times? what are you guys butting on the stock head bolt to catch the garbage? Grease? Plan on rigging maybe a straw up to my small shop vac to vacuum out the bottoms of the holes.
Next question, the Bolts holding the FAST intake together do i take them out before i intall or leave them in....Prob a dumb question but a question no less
thanks
Kurt
Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the FAST new? As it comes (from memory) there are several bolts that are in the new unit that need to be removed for installation. They are the longer bolts, not the ones holding the two halves together. Don't over tighten the throttle body either, there will be a gap as the TB gasket from FAST is stiffer and trying to completely compress it will bend the flange on the intake, possibly breaking it.

Best bet is not to use the FAST provided intake bolts and washers, rather just use your stock bolts. The FAST bolts rust and there is always the chance of a washer finding its way into the motor.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:50 AM
10 Second Club

fast is new...i know the longer ones are the bolts going through the holes that use to bolt the intake manifold to the heads....the newer 92 intake came with different bolts than the ones youre thinking of......my 90 fast i bought 3 years ago...the bolts had a black coating on them and rusted the newer ones are silver looking kind of like a zinc coating or something
now what about the head bolt questions can i use a drill or is it a no no
Old 07-17-2008, 05:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't see why not as long as the bolt is started by hand and you go slow with it. If the drill has a clutch, set it light so you don't force th bolt into the bottom of the hole.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say if you were careful with the drill it would work fine. X2 on it taking forever with the socket and ratcher; but that's all I've used. As far as the intake goes, mine is also a VRD 92 mm and the only bolts that stay on the intake prior to bolting to the heads is the six short bolts. Three on each end. Good luck and hope this helps out!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you reuse stock LS6 intake bolts with the FAST?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
Can you reuse stock LS6 intake bolts with the FAST?
I did and yes they fit fine. I didn't want the rust and after what happened to Arkay99 that was just one more reason not to use the FAST bolts & washers. I have been thinking about upgrading to some nice 12 point ARP's though