Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine trouble ...dont know what it is..PLEASE HELP

Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine trouble ...dont know what it is..PLEASE HELP

i got a boy with a 2000 SS with just pacesetter lt's..arite so we're driving off teh freeway on the exit and slowing down then his rpms just drop all the way down and oil pressure guage is goin crazy and then the car just dies...since then we've changed the 02 sensors, throttle body sensor, fuel pump and fuel filter and still does the same probem..need help..thanks!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SSFBODY
i got a boy with a 2000 SS with just pacesetter lt's..arite so we're driving off teh freeway on the exit and slowing down then his rpms just drop all the way down and oil pressure guage is goin crazy and then the car just dies...since then we've changed the 02 sensors, throttle body sensor, fuel pump and fuel filter and still does the same probem..need help..thanks!
So it starts up again, but dies later?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't have oil pressure stop trying to start it. Sounds like maybe you spun a bearing or lost the oil pump.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well he said that the rpm's dropped and the car died, that will cause no oil pressure.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Does it start and run? Need more details on what it's doing now.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Well he said that the rpm's dropped and the car died, that will cause no oil pressure.

Well I figured he said as it was dying the oil gauge was going crazy so I figured it probably broke something, however yes we need more details.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Warning

Seeing as how the op hasn't posted since yesterday..... I will continue. I have the same symptoms with my car. Car starts for a second then rpm drops and dies unless I keep pressing the gas to maintain the idle rpm level of 998. Usually my pressing the gas to keep the rpm level does work and the car then drives perfectly fine with the exception of random rpm drops when braking to a stop (however, the car has never died on the road and always quickly recovers from this rpm drop that occurs while braking to a stop). There are times though, that the car begins to sputter and the rpms go irratic within a minute or so after getting on the road (note: all other gauges remain in place when this occurs) and the car usually recovers from this. Last week was an exception.... the car did it's sputtering and rpm drops within a minute of getting on the road... it wasn't recovering as usual so I began to pump the gas pedal but nothing was happening, then suddenly the car takes off as if I were flooring it (had to slam the brakes to keep from rear ending someone. The fuel filter has been changed, fuel pump is good, fuel pressure is good, throttle body sensor has been changed and it's still happening.... anyone have any more ideas? Also no codes! Not even soft codes! Please see my signature for all mods. Thanks for your help and sorry about the long story
Old 07-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Launching!

drake02, maybe you have a bad IAC sensor, vacuum leak or need more tuning
Old 07-22-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Drake02
Warning

Seeing as how the op hasn't posted since yesterday..... I will continue. I have the same symptoms with my car. Car starts for a second then rpm drops and dies unless I keep pressing the gas to maintain the idle rpm level of 998. Usually my pressing the gas to keep the rpm level does work and the car then drives perfectly fine with the exception of random rpm drops when braking to a stop (however, the car has never died on the road and always quickly recovers from this rpm drop that occurs while braking to a stop). There are times though, that the car begins to sputter and the rpms go irratic within a minute or so after getting on the road (note: all other gauges remain in place when this occurs) and the car usually recovers from this. Last week was an exception.... the car did it's sputtering and rpm drops within a minute of getting on the road... it wasn't recovering as usual so I began to pump the gas pedal but nothing was happening, then suddenly the car takes off as if I were flooring it (had to slam the brakes to keep from rear ending someone. The fuel filter has been changed, fuel pump is good, fuel pressure is good, throttle body sensor has been changed and it's still happening.... anyone have any more ideas? Also no codes! Not even soft codes! Please see my signature for all mods. Thanks for your help and sorry about the long story
Have you checked for any air/vacuum leaks?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Teching In

it does exactly what Drakes02 does except it hasnt gone to the point where i almost rear ended someone
Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the battery cable. My guages where going crazy and the car would die, So i check the battery cables and boom the positive was loose that fix my problem.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Found the culprit! Thought I should post the findings for all to see in case they may have the same issue.... I had a torn gasket at the headers. The shop I go to replaced both gaskets and victory. My car drives even better than before! Who knows how long the gaskets were cracking and gradually effecting performance till they tore and created a leak at the headers. Not sure why this happened.... we did use the gaskets that came with my Kooks LTs. I never got any codes either. At any rate, it's all good now. SSFBODY... hope my result helps you out too.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP is the car throwing any codes first off? You really need to find somebody around you with HPtuners to check for codes. Check your TPS sensor maybe that is the culprit. The car may not know how much throttle to give the car. I really dont know without some more info.

Search this Thread