Sponsored by:

LS1 LS6 rear cover different?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 LS6 rear cover different?

Hey,

Maybe a stupid question, but are there any differnces between a LS1 and LS6 rear engine cover? I blew my engine last year, a 2000 Vette. I picked up a used LS6 from a 2002 Z06. The guy never had an oil leak on it, and I belive the guy. Saw him at the track a few times with the engine and no issues. I carried over the rear cover and bought a used oil pan, so both are suspect.

Anyway, I installed it and the rear cover looked ok. But, have a mysterious oil leak at the rear of the engine under the flywheel. So, can't really see whats going on.

I suspect one of the following: the main seal (but was new), rear cover gasket (I saw some have issues with it leaking), the rear portion of the oil pan (though the other 3 sides are clean). The top rear of the engine is clean, the cam sensor and oil pres sensors are both clean and so are the heads and valley cover.

Could I have really F'ed up and used a cover that does not seal? Is the LS6 rear cover different. I did some lookups of gaskets and they look the same, but am I missing anything? I thought i had researched it, and don't see any thread here on the topic.

What about the gasket? Thought I looked up 02 z06 gasket at NAPA and they listed the same kit as for the 00 LS1. Any differences that could be causing me to not seal?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-22-2008, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would bet it's the rear main seal
Old 07-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks, the rear main seal only has a few hundred miles on it. I've replaced it twice and still have the leak. I'm still going to replace it, maybe the third time is the charm
Old 07-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Staging Lane

Pay very close attention to the way the seal sits on the hub of the crank. I believe there is actually a GM tool for centering the cover so you don't side load the seal, causing a leak. I know for sure there is one for the front cover. I have done several and always make sure the seal is centered on the crank and then tighten the cover, I do this without the tool just eyeballing it... It is very common to see the front cover leaking on a car that has had a cam change because most people do not know to pay attention to this. Good luck.

Kurt
Old 07-23-2008, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

2 thoughts, did you put a dab of sealer in the corner of the rear cover/oil pan area?
was the rear cover even with where the oil pan sits
there is a tool for installing the rear seal, some kits come with a plastic one, so the seal lip doesnt get turned in
Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No difference LS1 and LS6 rear cover are the same part.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedracerZO6
No difference LS1 and LS6 rear cover are the same part.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure.

Yep, used a good bead of RTV on the corners. I thought I had it lined up really well. I put the covers and oil pan on out side of the car when I was doing my winter mods. So, I thought everything looked really good, but obviously I missed somelthing.

Quick Reply: LS1 LS6 rear cover different?