Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for the best of the best heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for the best of the best heads

243 castings or aftermarket castings, and who should they be sent to for port work?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

All kinds of good brands out there... Trickflow, All Pro, ETP etc...

my vote goes for AFR because of great customer service and a quality product.

also Tony Mamo @ AFR is known for his excellent porting techniques...
Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Banned

I heard TFS was having trouble with port allignment on their castings. I've heard All Pro does a good head. I heard RHS is good but there's power left on the table with them. I've talked to people who use AFR and like them. They were on the fastest H/C car as well (9.90). I've heard some REALLY good things about a "Thanks 4 Playing" 243 casting with the port done by Joe Mendelis, and valve job done by Bret Bauer. These are the ones currently on my "get" list. A bit expensive, but you get what you pay for! Does anyone have any info on Futral heads done by Larry Meaux?

Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 07-26-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see you have ported 243 on your car but I dont know if there hand ported or CNC'd by who and what all they have done to them and what kind of gains they gave you on the dyno or the street or track performance you got. I have stock unported 243 on my car and I really like the Trick Flow heads and when I will buy a set of heads I getting them off of Vengence Racing and (they are a sponsor on here) because on there website they say there CNC ported and from what Ive seen in person and on the dyno there the best out there but they are $2395.00 a set and everyone Ive talk to say you have to have aftermarket rockers which I have been wanting anyway but this is just my opinion and hope this gives you a option. Good Luck
Old 07-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

I do not consider Vengence TFS heads in the top 5, much less the best out. Not to be mean or anything. That seems pretty cheap for the "best heads available". I'd like to see what the numbers are at .700-.750 lift.

The heads on the car are what I could afford back when I bought them years ago. Now I'm ready to make some real power with stock cubes. I'm going solid roller so I need heads that will not stall out at high lift.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lary meaux is one of the better Ls hand porters in the nation, just very pricey, but you get what you pay for!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want serious power get a 402-454, you can get decent power out of a 346, but very unreliably, and not very street friendly.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

i dont think hes looking for suggestions on what else he should do, just on the best heads... im also curious who would be the best to send them to get ported. best as in best quality with price not being a factor
Old 07-27-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

I think the best head would come out of a matchin set up. But the list AFR,mamo ect would be the way to go. i would look at mid range and top end flow but thats all depended on the cam,intake and exhaust. Oh and motor size.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would contact Brett Bauer and talk to him about what he can do with some Darts (yes Darts). A guy who runs a shop around here swears by them and IIRC BB can make 225's flow +350cfm. They are not cheap though as you would imagine.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned

I have talked to Bret, he doesn't recommend the Darts for a stock bore. He recommends the 243's that Joe Mendelis designed the port for. They are a bit pricey, but I am willing to spend when the product delivers. These heads have been on championship cars, so I am going with his heads/cam package, prob solid roller, and possibly setting up a vic jr intake as well. Just wanted to make a post and see if there were others I have not considered.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:15 PM
CARTEK Racing

Greg Good does awesome stuff,

But for my experience I cant say enough about CARTEK Heads.

After all, 10.32 @ 132+ on 243 heads driving it to and from the track, cant be that bad.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
I have talked to Bret, he doesn't recommend the Darts for a stock bore. He recommends the 243's that Joe Mendelis designed the port for. They are a bit pricey, but I am willing to spend when the product delivers. These heads have been on championship cars, so I am going with his heads/cam package, prob solid roller, and possibly setting up a vic jr intake as well. Just wanted to make a post and see if there were others I have not considered.

Yep, his Darts are for for bigger bores. For a 346 your looking at either a AFR, Ported OEM, since your bashing TFS I wont mention them, maybe ET?
I dont think All Pro are for smaller bores but maybe someone makes a version for the 346?
Old 07-27-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

I do not consider Vengence TFS heads in the top 5, much less the best out. Not to be mean or anything. That seems pretty cheap for the "best heads available". I'd like to see what the numbers are at .700-.750 lift.

The heads on the car are what I could afford back when I bought them years ago. Now I'm ready to make some real power with stock cubes. I'm going solid roller so I need heads that will not stall out at high lift.
Not sure why you are such a TFS hater, but seriously you information is totally off base, inaccurate, and just coming out the south end of a northbound bull! Especially since the TFS heads have consistantly being showing some of the best results...

Good luck in your head hunt, but since you have eliminated what should have been your first choice, I would suggest the ETP's then the AFR's for what you are looking for on a 346. Talk to both manufacturers about their solid roller setups and see what they suggest.

I just hope you don't base your judgements of what is best of the best, on the most expensive must be better philosophy!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Banned

The TFS heads might be great, but I don't know who Vengeance had design the port they CNC so I am not considering them. I hear the newer CNC version ET is releasing on their TFS heads is supposed to be really good, but I haven't seen any results on those. I know the guy holding the 9.90 stock cube H/C record was using AFR's, and I don't see any TFS results better than mid 10's.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

The TFS heads might be great, but I don't know who Vengeance had design the port they CNC so I am not considering them.
That one is easy Total Engine Airflow (TEA) does the CNC for Vengeance, they even flowed our 245's before shipping them to us (and sent us the flowbench printout).
Old 07-27-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard TFS was having trouble with port allignment on their castings. I've heard All Pro does a good head. I heard RHS is good but there's power left on the table with them. I've talked to people who use AFR and like them. They were on the fastest H/C car as well (9.90). I've heard some REALLY good things about a "Thanks 4 Playing" 243 casting with the port done by Joe Mendelis, and valve job done by Bret Bauer. These are the ones currently on my "get" list. A bit expensive, but you get what you pay for! Does anyone have any info on Futral heads done by Larry Meaux?
I think the T4P 243's are a great choice. I will have dyno results for those in a few weeks. Larry Meaux would be an excellent choice as well. Cartek stuff Runs very well too.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a big fan of AFR myself. TFS and ETP are really good heads as well.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'm assuming you're going to be spinning this engine to 7K+ RPMS..... the Victor Jr. will be hurting your performance till the 4000+RPM range.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Schantin
I'm assuming you're going to be spinning this engine to 7K+ RPMS..... the Victor Jr. will be hurting your performance till the 4000+RPM range.

Yes, if it stays full drag, I will be spinning to 8k+. If not, I'll go with the FAST.