Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam bearings or all bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam bearings or all bearings

I am doing a H/C sap with the engine still in my T/A. I pulled the heads first and everything looks fine in the cyliders. When I pulled the cam the journals have deep grooves in them. The cam bearings are obviously shot. At this point I am thinking it would be a good idea to pull the motor and have a look at the crank and rod bearings. Would this be a good idea? How often do cam bearings wear out? Anything else I need to look for? This is an original 98 motor with 97,xxx mi.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With that many miles on the motor, go ahead and remove the engine and do a nice overhaul. Dont go cheap on it either. Go ahead and replace the valvetrain parts like lifters and what goes in with the cam. Definitely have everything checked and prob should get it balanced to while its all out. If you can go ahead and change out your piston rings and all that good stuff.

Give Glen Sheppard a call, he did all of my machine work. PM me for his number if you live close to Bessemer/McCalla area.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

I do have a set of lifters, pushrods, roller rockers, LS2 timing chain and a LS6 oil pump that I had already planned to put in it.

Last edited by 2manytoys; 07-31-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Here are some pictures. The cylinder scratches are not too bad, but I don't know if they can be fixed or not. The cam is rough though.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a very well taken care of motor to me. It just depends on how long you want it to be down. Bc its a snowball effect when you start refreshening the motor. I've been buying stuff since January lol..