Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads will be off of the car for 3-4 weeks, what .....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heads will be off of the car for 3-4 weeks, what .....

Heads will be off of the car for 3-4 weeks, what precautions need to be taken to be sure nothing happens to my shortblock. The car wil be parked in a garage, away from the elements, will keeping a rag over it be enough, or should I tape plastic over it? Also, should I wipe down the cylinders w/ WD40 or equivalent? Any other tips would be appreciated, thanks, Shawn
Old 08-26-2003, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Default Re: Heads will be off of the car for 3-4 weeks, what .....

I'm not sure WD-40 would be a good thing to use. WD-40 displaces water and the water has to go somewhere else...like maybe into other areas you don't want it. Friend of mine that's a maintance person says WD-40 applied at the wrong time in the wrong enviroment can actually cause more problems than it prevents. While aluminum won't rust, stripping the water aways from other metals with WD-40 can actually speed oxidation by increasing the metals exposure to air ie it rusts quicker, or so he says.

Maybe oil would be better to wipe the cylinders down with? Perhaps someone that knows can respond.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:54 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Heads will be off of the car for 3-4 weeks, what .....

Just use some motor oil in the cylinder walls and place some large towels over the motor. Just wipe the old oil off (to be sure no dirt, lint,etc stuck to the oil) and apply a very thin coat of fresh oil on the cyl walls before putting the heads back on.