Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so I've been messing around with the DCR calculator, now I have a question or two....

Old 08-15-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so I've been messing around with the DCR calculator, now I have a question or two....

setup: 347
Forged LS6 block
6.125 callie rods and 3.905 diamond flat top -2valve relief pistons
LS6 heads stock combustion cc's and stock valves
.040 cometics
228/588 112 comp cam
ARP head bolt kit

what I'm wanting to do is mill the heads because my DCR sucks *** right now. playing around with the DCR calculator from this link ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...dcr+calculator ) it shows I need to mill my heads to 59cc and advance my cam 2 degrees using the same head gasket thickness I have.

now, my question is, since the motor has about 6,000 miles on it and the heads will be milled so they will be completely flat.... is there another type of head gasket out there BESIDES MLS that I can use and will be a .040 thickness since the deck of my block COULD be...not completely flat? I've already reused my cometics once and sprayed copper spray on them so no matter what I will be getting new head gaskets. I kinda like the idea of using graphite because it seals so well plus it's kind of extra insurance if I do decide to spray and the pressure doesn't want to be in the chamber anymore lol.

I have done some checking around and it seems pretty much that is all there is, MLS. If u know of any other type of gasket out there that is .040 and not MLS PLEASE let me know.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to O'reillys and have someone with half a brain dig through the Fel-pro catalog. i got my head gaskets from there; .040 4.135 bore for around $165 like a year ago
Old 08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I do not know if it is an issue or not but have you checked into how well a graphite gasket will hold up to the heat and compression compared to a MLS?

I myself would prefer MLS ( but have no data to back it up ) just always been a fan of factory MLS gaskets.

If you are going to run .040 gaskets though you need to make sure your quench height is in check by checking piston out of the hole too, very important part of your DCR equation.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my piston out of the hole should be .01 instead of the factory .006, so I have been told since of the different rod length...and pistions? I'm guessing that is one reason the typical aftermarket flat top piston has -2cc valve reliefs, and to run a bigger cam w/o flycutting.

Search this Thread