Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parasitic loss of upgraded oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parasitic loss of upgraded oil pump

How much hp is used to create the extra 5-15 psi that some aftyermarket oil pumps create?
Old 08-31-2003, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Parasitic loss of upgraded oil pump

I'm guessing it would be immeasurable.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

From dyno tests with electric WP it looks like they use up about 10 rwhp. Oil is a hell of a lot harder to pump under pressure than water so there has to be some power consumption involved.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:10 AM

I've got alot of friends that are into circle track racing and they avoid high volume oil pumps like the plague, for a few reasons. One, they heat the oil up by the increased pressure they create. Two, they use up more power in order to drive them. At high rpms, all of their oil would be up in the heads, and the pan would be empty, not good. That's one of the reasons a dry sump oiling system is used when allowed. They mainly use a blueprinted oil pump that uses stock pressure.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From dyno tests with electric WP it looks like they use up about 10 rwhp. Oil is a hell of a lot harder to pump under pressure than water so there has to be some power consumption involved.
Yes higher volume and hi pressure eat horsepower, measurably, but not just the extra power to drive pump, also the extra oil flow causes windage power losses.
oil belongs in between bearings and in pan, not up in heads and spraying down over all rotating and reciprocating parts.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

So then what the hell kind of pump am I gonna get?
Old 09-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Resident Grump

You've got to be kidding..... If you aren't here is a good rule of thumb to follow... For every 1000rpm you need 10lbs of oil pressure. Me personally if I had to choose between 1olbs or 10hp I would go for the oil every time...
Old 09-01-2003, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Well then I obviously don't need any more pressure since at high rpm I get between 60 and 70 psi. But I'll be damned if I'm going to put more money into a car I already love, and leave that shitty 00 and older oil pump that may or may not fail on there. Hell its almost like preventative maintenance anyway.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Launching!

I'm confused about what you think the difference is in a ported oil pump and the oil pump you have in your car right now.. I mean, it's not like they change tolerances inside the pump assembly to effectively SQUEEZE the oil harder to create more pressure. The pump itself isn't spinning any faster. That said, where would this higher parasitic loss of HP come from? All they're doing is cleaning up casting flash in the inlet and outlet ports of the pump.

In my mind, if your oil viscosity doesn't change, the pressure inside the mechanism pumping the oil doesn't change, and the RPM the pump operates at doesn't increase, you haven't consumed any more power to operate the pump. The only thing happening is more pressure (more volume is more likely) is being obtained USING THE SAME AMOUNT OF CONSUMED POWER, by smoothing flow restrictions in the ports. You haven't made the pump work and harder, you've just made it more efficient.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at my Katech "Ported" pump.

I think all that was done with it was to lightly sand the bore that the pressure relief valve plunger slides into which will prevent it from sticking.

2nd, it looked like the outlet oil port was messaged with a die grinder in hopes that it would put out a little better volume.

If you want to increase the pressure, you need to install a heavier spring under the pressure relief plunger or install a spacer (washer) under the stock spring.

Nothing was done to increase pressure on the Thunder/Katech pump.

At least the pressure relief valve plunger should not stick like some of the stock pumps. I could have done that myself instead of buying a new pump.

Hot 70 mph freeway press. = 55 psi
Hot idle press. = 40 psi
Old 09-01-2003, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

sounds good

Quick Reply: Parasitic loss of upgraded oil pump