Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Build?

I have been Lurking and Searching around for a while, and need some 2nd opinions. My goal is a Street Car that will see some Strip action But, Not my DD. I'd like to see Low/Mid 11's and or 450Hp. I have a Set of heads Older CNC Heads I picked up Used before really knowing where i was going with my Car But I'm leaning towards keeping them and using them for my build.

Heads are SLP CNC'd 853's I know these aren't crazy flowing heads And knowing such i have been treating them as i was doing a Cam only build in my mind. I have picked up a Set of LS6 sodium filled Valves from them. Been looking in to a Set of Yella Terra's & Patriot Performance Dual "Gold" Valve Spring Kit. I Don't want to use them until i have them freshened up.

I am unsure If i should Reuse my Stock Short block? Really think i should Freshen it up, so I don't have summer down time. I have been thinking of upgrading to forged Rods and pistons to bring CR to around 11 to 1 for use with 93oct. Along with many other new parts to support the top end.

Car has 101k on her.
Trans will be upgraded next Spring with most likely a 3000 Stall. Stock Rear end was just rebuilt when i did Gear change this past Spring. Have an LS6 intake, P&P TB, Poly bushings awaiting to go in.

Am I looking in the right direction to meet my goals? Any input that would help me make wise choices?

I don't know any of the info on heads, below is info i do have. Maybe someone here knows something about these heads?
Stamped on Heads
CNC
SLP 001 D

And Other
CNC
SLP 001 P
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your goals are very attainable...especially since this won't be a DD. With the mileage, I would go ahead and freshen it up. You might as well do forged stuff...save you from doing it again down the road. I don't know about those heads though. Have a machine shop look at them and see what they flow...then make a decision about heads. No need to spend money where you don't have to.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if your gonna rebuild, you might as well go with a 6.0 basd motor
.030 6.0=370ci
the replacement pistons are cheep, around 375$ with rings included
there is also available replacement ls1 5.7 pistons.reuse your stock, crank,rods and upgrade with ls6 rod bolts or arp bolts.
no need for forged parts, since the proper built stock ls1 will make 500bhp
even a moderate amount of nitrous wont cause any probs.
i would freshen the motor with so many miles on it.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the bottom end. I'd just use the heads you have and get a cam spec'd out for your needs. That should work perfectly fine. You might need a little more than a 3k stall to run low 11s though.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

I have thought of doing to 6.0L but use'ing the ls2 block over the LQ blocks as i don't feel i need the extra wt in the front

How much bigger should i be looking at a Stall? I was thinking of a TCI 3000 which from what i have read will act a little bigger than 3k. What would you recommend?

Last edited by sonofmooner; 08-20-2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-2008, 02:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be afraid of the LQ blocks... I didn't notice a single solitary difference weight wise after installing my LQ4... the car handles just fine, and is really fast
Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

man use the heads. Sell the sodium filled valves(they arent stock length so you need a different push rod, stock length pushrods are cheaper to come by used). Buy the spring kit, get a custom speced cam. Ditch that stall and get 4400, you got the gears for it already. mid 11 all day long cosistent and trouble free. Your car is going to be more about the stall gears and cam selection. Those three things will get you so much futher then better heads.

then when that bottom end decides to give way. Rebuild it forged, add the bottle. BAM 10s
Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Don't be afraid of the LQ blocks... I didn't notice a single solitary difference weight wise after installing my LQ4... the car handles just fine, and is really fast
Nice Dyno Numbers in your sig. What do you run in the 1/4 mile?

will350wax - I will most likely need new push rods any was since i don't know how much the head have been Milled, and if theres room to play I'll probably have them milled a little bit more. If i Ditch the LS6 Valves I'll be going Bigger but thats not looking to be an viable option for me at this time.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st what is your budget?
if it's tight keep the heads and freshen the short block. like will350 said, cam, stall, your current gears, plus your heads and a freshened up short block with a bump up in compression will get you what you want on the cheap.