Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt Engine: Any precautions I should take??

Old 08-17-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilt Engine: Any precautions I should take??

im getting my car back this week, engine was rebuilt by a machine shop. is there any precautions or something i should know about the engine? do i have to break in the new miles like a new engine?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Run the car for 500 miles and change the oil, run it another 1000 and change the oil then run it another 1000 and change the oil. Use conventional, from what I hear it's better to work in the piston rings with conventional over synthetic. On your final oil change at around 2,500 miles go ahead and run synthetic if you want to. But for the first 2,000 miles or so just do some regular driving, don't hot rod it or rev up real high.

I also recommend a remote oil gauge and purge the oil pump with oil before you start the motor. Make sure you get oil through the pump real well before you fire it up. Sometimes these motors aren't real forgiving if you lack oil pressure. Especially on a new build. Just some ideas.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a good thing u brought up oil pressure, cuz that is why the engine messed up in the first place. oil pump went out, so a new oil pump was installed. i figured i wouldnt be able to go crazy on the engine in the beginning. but thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine break in is a very interesting subject, everyone on here will give you there own theory on what they do. A couple things that everyone seems to agree on is DO NOT use synthetic to break a motor in, also, the only part of these motors that really need to break in are the rings, that's it, so that's where your primary concern should be. Vary RPM, take it to redline in short intervals, let the cylinder walls have a chance to cool down a bit between bursts otherwise you risk overheating them and glazing the cylinder walls, which means you're tearing the motor down, re-honing and starting over. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

the problem with this car is that it is a daily driver. i wasnt planning on getting anywhere near redline for the first 1000 miles. but from what i am reading, ppl are sayin not to keep the engine at constant rpm, but that is a problem for me, cuz i drive alot on the highway.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Yahelou
the problem with this car is that it is a daily driver. i wasnt planning on getting anywhere near redline for the first 1000 miles. but from what i am reading, ppl are sayin not to keep the engine at constant rpm, but that is a problem for me, cuz i drive alot on the highway.
I am a firm believer in taking the car to redline to break in the rings. But like I said, only in short bursts. Also, have you considered having it broken in on a dyno?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

My 625 rwhp stang went straight on the dyno with no break in. Brians 500rwhp LS2 went straight on the dyno with no break in.

Im not saying I would necessarily do that with a customers car....but we have had no issues at all with our cars.

I even used synthetic in my car from the start with no issues....but the standard thought process says use conventional as stated here.

It will also depend on what rings were used. Some seat much easier than others.

Sorry you had this problem in the first place Sammy. Good luck with it.

Oh, and if you do want to put it on the dyno so you can vary the RPMs, we will do that for you free of charge. Obviously we wouldnt make any WOT pulls with it.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
My 625 rwhp stang went straight on the dyno with no break in. Brians 500rwhp LS2 went straight on the dyno with no break in.

Im not saying I would necessarily do that with a customers car....but we have had no issues at all with our cars.

I even used synthetic in my car from the start with no issues....but the standard thought process says use conventional as stated here.

It will also depend on what rings were used. Some seat much easier than others.

Sorry you had this problem in the first place Sammy. Good luck with it.

Oh, and if you do want to put it on the dyno so you can vary the RPMs, we will do that for you free of charge. Obviously we wouldnt make any WOT pulls with it.
thanks man. i talked to my father and he wanted to rebuild it instead of replacing it. we did it at his buddys garage. if not it would have been u guys doin it. at least the dyno tune didnt go to waste.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Yahelou
thanks man. i talked to my father and he wanted to rebuild it instead of replacing it. we did it at his buddys garage. if not it would have been u guys doin it. at least the dyno tune didnt go to waste.

No problem. Just PM me if you decide you want to break it in on the dyno. We will just strap it down, and vary the speed and RPMs and keep it under 3500 or so.

Once you break it in you will be able to enjoy the tune. The car made really good power for stock.

Oh, and once you break it in, if you want to get numbers for the new set up I will gladly strap it down and give you three pulls for free as well.

Just let us know.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
No problem. Just PM me if you decide you want to break it in on the dyno. We will just strap it down, and vary the speed and RPMs and keep it under 3500 or so.

Once you break it in you will be able to enjoy the tune. The car made really good power for stock.

Oh, and once you break it in, if you want to get numbers for the new set up I will gladly strap it down and give you three pulls for free as well.

Just let us know.

thanks alot man. i will definitely swing by after the engine has been broken in.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed the oil after the first heat cycle, then at 100, 300, 500 miles
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put put 150 miles, and changed the oil twice in that period, then took it 7200 rpms and never had a problem. A wise, experienced mechanic once told me it will never be as good as it is when you first build it! Of course, he deals with mostly drag cars. But anyway, like stated above, vary your rpms, give a little time (couple hundred miles) to make sure everything seated well and you are gonna keep oil pressure, then bust its *** and enjoy!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I am a firm believer in taking the car to redline to break in the rings. But like I said, only in short bursts. Also, have you considered having it broken in on a dyno?

Yep... Run the **** out it in short bursts to seat the rings and keep them from spinning around where the the ring gaps line up causing oil usage issues. I have never had one use exssesive oil doing this. The theory is the rings seat before they spin around and have the gaps line up causing oil to get through and obviously burn. Worked for me so far!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilt Engine: Any precautions I should take??