Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update to broken timing chain.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update to broken timing chain.

pulled the pass side head off and bent all the intake valves bent the push rods and one broken push rod the pistons have some marks on them not bad though what else should i be concerned with the cylinders still have the crosshatch in them show no signs of wear 27000 miles should I be concerned with the pistons as far as the heads Ill probly have a valve job done cant afford to upgrade to better heads right now.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Update to broken timing chain.

If the pistons aren't cracked or significantly damaged, clean up the 'eyebrows' with a small file and/or sandpaper. You don't want any sharp edges or loose material in there. Get the valves replaced and put it back together, and hope it stays together. It should be fine unless you are running nitrous or boost. If that's the case, I'd take this opportunity to build up the bottom end stronger.

Dope
Old 09-01-2003, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Update to broken timing chain.

a touch of oil to control shavings and either emory paper or medium scotch brite works well. I personally think that sandpaper is too course. The piston material is far softer than it should be. The primary idea is to remove sharp areas and such that might become hot spots are hang on to coke. One youve smoothed it down a teeny bit just wipe all the (now grey) oil away.

chris