Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Retard from the A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock Retard from the A4

I am apparently picking up KR when you punch it and it down shifts and it begins a KR string, is there any settings or anything to help this?...other than not getting on it?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what type of fuel do you usually use? You may be getting crappy fuel from the pumps or not getting a high enough octane which sometime causes some detonation
Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

I was getting a fair amount of KR in the 3300-4000 rpm range even though the fueling was good and the timing was very conservative - chased it for a long time : lowering timing, etc. Finally figured out that it was a combination of noise from the 3600 stall TC and the valvetrain (Futral F-14 cam, etc) all hitting the seemingly right harmonics when the TC was unlocked, especially under part throttle - put all my timing settings back, reduced the sensitivity of the knock sensors in that rpm range and KR went totally away. I'm going to eventually install the later model knock sensors / harness and see if that may help, but for now, everything appears good. It took a lot of datalogging and driving to determine the conditions where it was happening.

I am paying particular attention to any possible detonation - sounds, visible inspection of the plugs, etc - so far, it's all OK.

If your KR is happening all the time under the same conditions - WOT/downshift - it may just be too much timing for that particular load - will take a lot of work to resolve.

Bird

Last edited by Bird; 08-22-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Thanks
I use 93 octane from main brands and different all the time...and even added octane booster, KR still there so don't think it can be fuel.

I kept lowering spark until it was real low...still had KR...thanks to a senior tuners help he believes it to be the stall converter and could be in combo with the dual springs and cam, the knock tables have been modified to be less sensitive...didn't know if there is another way to attack this like maybe some of the trans. settings, I have modded my trans settings and think it shifts good, not to soft and not to hard but thought maybe there is something to make the downshift smoother or not make the converter "hit" so hard.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bird
I was getting a fair amount of KR in the 3300-4000 rpm range even though the fueling was good and the timing was very conservative - chased it for a long time : lowering timing, etc. Finally figured out that it was a combination of noise from the 3600 stall TC and the valvetrain (Futral F-14 cam, etc) all hitting the seemingly right harmonics when the TC was unlocked, especially under part throttle - put all my timing settings back, reduced the sensitivity of the knock sensors in that rpm range and KR went totally away. I'm going to eventually install the later model knock sensors / harness and see if that may help, but for now, everything appears good. It took a lot of datalogging and driving to determine the conditions where it was happening.

I am paying particular attention to any possible detonation - sounds, visible inspection of the plugs, etc - so far, it's all OK.

If your KR is happening all the time under the same conditions - WOT/downshift - it may just be too much timing for that particular load - will take a lot of work to resolve.

Bird
Bird, what sensors did you decrease sensitivity in...and wonder if they are about as sensitive in the 2002, I thought my were supposed to be less sensitive...and don't think the timing is to high.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02WS6FREEBIRD
Bird, what sensors did you decrease sensitivity in...and wonder if they are about as sensitive in the 2002, I thought my were supposed to be less sensitive...and don't think the timing is to high.
I changed the sensitivity in the tune for my 98 knock sensors - been datalogging every chance I get and still no KR.

Bird
Old 10-06-2008, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had to do this (lower knock sensitivity) on a couple 98 cars I've tuned.

Quick Reply: Knock Retard from the A4