Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! What the F*** is in on my oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
If i was to use an aftermarket rocker, what one would you reccommend?

Contact Ron@Vengence racing, I picked up a set of mint condition used Harland Sharps ( not rebuild the actual Harland Sharps ) for 125$.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a dyno sheet for that
Read this.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SHINER
I would say needle bearings from a lifter. The stock rockers are pretty tough to be honest.

The arms themselves are tough ( enough ) but they do **** bearings, and you must be the moderator of the appearance forum if you "have never heard of this"
Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
The arms themselves are tough ( enough ) but they do **** bearings, and you must be the moderator of the appearance forum if you "have never heard of this"

actually I am General LSx, and Newbie Tech. Thanks for the interview though.

Nothing wrong with the bearings, just the stamped steel bearing retainers.

Originally Posted by squee
Go with the Crane Quick-Lift rockers. The stock GM rockers aren't 1.7 through the entire motion (more like 1.5 I believe)
Where the hell do you get your information from?

If i was to use an aftermarket rocker, what one would you reccommend?
I would recommend the Harland Sharp Rockers, best ones out there IMO.

Anyways..LazyLongboarder I got another set of stock rocker arms if you need a couple, they are just spares that came off my H/C LS6 Motor

Last edited by SHINER; 08-25-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where the hell do you get your information from?
I get it from READING, something you obviously know nothing about. If you did, you would have read what I linked earlier and said "Read this," but you obviously aren't that bright. I'm with 00pooterSS. Its pretty pathetic that you've never heard of the VERY common problem of the rockers shitting out the needle bearings. You act like I have no clue what I'm talking about, but its pretty evident that your in denial about you being the one that doesn't know jack ****. Yet again, you proved your stupidity when you say I'm the one that needs to do research, yet your the one that doesn't know what your talking about, then say your a moderator so you don't need to do research. Guess what, being a moderator isn't a big deal and isn't uncommon. No wonder your the moderator of the NEWB section....
Old 08-25-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahh hell we've got an internet Mechanic/Pro engine builder on our hands here. The stock rockers are really great IMO. I've been 110k miles on mine and other have been over 140k with theirs. Just get your stocker rebuilt, or just buy some from SDPC and be done with it. They will outlast your motor anyways.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bjamick
Ahh hell we've got an internet Mechanic/Pro engine builder on our hands here. The stock rockers are really great IMO. I've been 110k miles on mine and other have been over 140k with theirs. Just get your stocker rebuilt, or just buy some from SDPC and be done with it. They will outlast your motor anyways.
Yea, hardly the case, but when someone ask for a good aftermarket rocker, and I reply with one proven to increase performance, made and designed by two very reputable companies, then the idiot who thinks he knows everything, except for the fact that the stock rockers **** needle bearings of course, says something like where the hell do I get my information, when I provided a damn link that he was to lazy to read, you better believe I'm gonna get pissed. I'm not disputing the stock rockers aren't good, but far from great. Once you put a cam in there, there terrible in most cases as far as the wipe pattern. Something the Cranes fix, as well as the problem they have with needle bearings.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

The pissing contest aside, I'd pull the valvecovers and inspect the rockers first simply because it's the easiest rule-out process. If he finds a rocker missing its roller bearings, he has the culprit.

If all 16 rockers are intact, then it's time to pull the heads and lifters.

I'd be surprised if the lifters are the culprit just because of the lack of noise in the engine. If a lifter had lost its roller base, it'd be clacking audibly.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Why does the HS rebuild make you uncomfortable. It looks better to an already good design to me me but I defer to someone who deals with this on a daily basis??? Can give me details
I need to proof read my typing. I'm uncomfortable with the factory "LS3" rockers, so I purchased a set of Harland Sharp fortified 'LS3" rockers for my setup. Excuse me I'm from Mississippi.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea, hardly the case, but when someone ask for a good aftermarket rocker, and I reply with one proven to increase performance, made and designed by two very reputable companies, then the idiot who thinks he knows everything, except for the fact that the stock rockers **** needle bearings of course, says something like where the hell do I get my information, when I provided a damn link that he was to lazy to read, you better believe I'm gonna get pissed. I'm not disputing the stock rockers aren't good, but far from great. Once you put a cam in there, there terrible in most cases as far as the wipe pattern. Something the Cranes fix, as well as the problem they have with needle bearings.

You got YOUR information from someone else off the internet, you sound like the biggest damn internet warrior.

We are talking about stock rockers losing needle bearings, and your sitting there trying to justify how big your dick is by explaining the horrible "wipe pattern" of a stock GM rocker, thats not even a rolling tip AND surely what we are not ******* talking/concerned about.

Im not impressed, and think you should rely more on hands on learning, and not by the click of a mouse.

Yea, hardly the case, but when someone ask for a good aftermarket rocker
He asked what was in his oil pan, not what a good aftermarket rocker was. For reading so much, guess your not that good at it.

Originally Posted by crainholio
The pissing contest aside, I'd pull the valvecovers and inspect the rockers first simply because it's the easiest rule-out process. If he finds a rocker missing its roller bearings, he has the culprit.

If all 16 rockers are intact, then it's time to pull the heads and lifters.

I'd be surprised if the lifters are the culprit just because of the lack of noise in the engine. If a lifter had lost its roller base, it'd be clacking audibly.
Originally Posted by bjamick

I agree with both these statements

Last edited by SHINER; 08-25-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

actually I am General LSx, and Newbie Tech. Thanks for the interview though.

I stopped reading there lol.

for the record mine have 148k on them and I haven't had that problem but Harland Sharp dosen't do the "stock rocker mod" for nothing.

I like your thinking though in saying there is nothing wrong with a stock rocker then coming back and saying there is only a problem with the bearing retainer, thats what this whole thing was all about to begin with, there is a problem with the stock rocker.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 08-25-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok. I said the only weak aspect of the rocker would be the retainer, and that the stock rocker is a good piece(as confirmed by many long staying members/moderators/shops/etc).

I stand by my word, I have had two fbodys both making high HP on motor, this current one on nitrous and have never had an issue with them.

Its always the little fish that get all butt hurt over little **** match competitions.

If It makes you feel better, you and your boyfriend can win this battle. Im done.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok. I said the only weak aspect of the rocker would be the retainer, and that the stock rocker is a good piece(as confirmed by many long staying members/moderators/shops/etc).

I stand by my word, I have had two fbodys both making high HP on motor, this current one on nitrous and have never had an issue with them.

Its always the little fish that get all butt hurt over little **** match competitions.

If It makes you feel better, you and your boyfriend can win this battle. Im done.

"you and your boyfriend can win this battle".... dude get bent. You came in here saying they were all good blah blah arguing and **** and the in the first post there is pics of the needle bearings falling out, then your going to say after seeing the pics that just because it hasnt happened to you or your friends there is no point in researching and its not a problem and telling others to go research when you are looking at proof??? Someone even posted a link about it and a link to a chevy TSB and then you realize they have a problem. Then someone and myself tells you harland sharp does a modification to the stock ones to keep them from coming apart and you get all bitch like and make some weak *** statement and leave the thread, you didn't give up any win, you realized you were wrong and are not man enough to admit it, it took you over two pages of BS to come out and say oh yeah they do have a problem with the bearings.

Nobody was "a little fish and got butthurt" you spread false information and others came and proved you wrong. But when you go off basically calling people **** then yeah someone is going to get pissed off.

The only person that got "butthurt" was the moron that got ran off because he is an idiot.

Go ahead and stand by your word that the rockers are good, a lot of people do, but the smart ones get the bearing retainer modification done which you said nothing about.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Launching!

what a mess
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

I know some of you are talking after market rockers. That's fine but remember, if you go aftermarket ther is a good chance you will need stiffer springs.
Most aftermarket roller tip rockers place more weight over the tip of the valve which can induce valve float.

I would send the stockers to Harland Sharp and have them replace the bearing .
As mentioned by one of the posters their bearing uses retainner clips so the bearings will not fall out.
Check with one of our sponsers they can send them out for you . I beleive it cost's around 260.00 - 270.00. They come back clean and will include new mounting hardware, and you won't have to worry about up grading springs.

Ryan
Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

You got YOUR information from someone else off the internet, you sound like the biggest damn internet warrior.

We are talking about stock rockers losing needle bearings, and your sitting there trying to justify how big your dick is by explaining the horrible "wipe pattern" of a stock GM rocker, thats not even a rolling tip AND surely what we are not ******* talking/concerned about.

Im not impressed, and think you should rely more on hands on learning, and not by the click of a mouse.
I may be the biggest damn internet warrior, but your the biggest damn internet idiot. The reason I said something about the Crane rockers was because someone ask about the best aftermarket rockers. Clearly, your the one that can't read since I said the Cranes were the best and were proven to add 15hp then someone asked for a dyno sheet, which I provided as well. You really don't deserve to be a mod. Regardless of which forum.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:59 AM
Staging Lane

I thought mods were here to ,among other things, help keep peace . You are antagonizing and insulting people by your remarks.

A form member came on line with a question looking for help and it goes crazy off topic.

I agree with the rocker needle bearing as being the problem in this case.
I had an aftermarket lifter roller come apart and it made plenty of noise.

I still think his best bet are the stock G.M's rebuilt by Harland Sharp.

Ryan
Old 08-27-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

No the Mod is trying to teach somebody something. The stock rockers are a great piece and are hard to beat by even the aftermarket. Just bc some website says "These will add up to 30rwhp to your LS1" it doesn't mean its actually true. Only way that is possible is bc of the different ratio which adds lift to the cam. THATS the only reason it adds any power. Even in my new motor im building, im still going to be using my 110k mile rockers. If I have a problem can I really complain?? I mean they gave me that many miles, and hard miles at that. So if they do **** some needle bearings, thats really fine with me. Like I said, i'll just have them rebuilt and they will most likely outlast my motor anyways.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shiner: The way you're approaching this thread is all wrong. Being a moderator, you should know better!! While alot of what you say has truth to it, you're coming off as a know it all moderator punk.

The stock rockers, while being very strong and having decent geometry on a stock long-block, do have a significant weakness/problem! There are hundreds of threads on this very forum of people who have had this issue! This isn't an isolated case by any means! Harland Sharp makes some good money by fixing the issue for customers. Once they've worked the stock rockers, I think they're a very good choice for most of the street cars on this site. We push them into the 600rwhp range all the time!

Now, as for the aftermarket rockers. I do not buy into the hype of them adding big HP with this simple swap. We've tested most all of them and you just don't see the HP gains many claim. As for which is better, that's a debate that has been around forever! I personally prefer the YellaTerra UltraLites. They are lighter where it matters, and that makes for better valvetrain control. I have seen the HS's cause valve float on cars that did not have float issues with stock rockers, simply because of valvetrain mass.

If anyone has any questions, we'd be glad to help. We offer a full line-up of aftermarket rockers as well as the Harland Sharp modified stock rockers. We do thousands of hours of R&D every year to ensure we are on the leading edge of the market in what we do! We can help!

Thanks

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Shiner: The way you're approaching this thread is all wrong. Being a moderator, you should know better!! While alot of what you say has truth to it, you're coming off as a know it all moderator punk.

The stock rockers, while being very strong and having decent geometry on a stock long-block, do have a significant weakness/problem! There are hundreds of threads on this very forum of people who have had this issue! This isn't an isolated case by any means! Harland Sharp makes some good money by fixing the issue for customers. Once they've worked the stock rockers, I think they're a very good choice for most of the street cars on this site. We push them into the 600rwhp range all the time!

Now, as for the aftermarket rockers. I do not buy into the hype of them adding big HP with this simple swap. We've tested most all of them and you just don't see the HP gains many claim. As for which is better, that's a debate that has been around forever! I personally prefer the YellaTerra UltraLites. They are lighter where it matters, and that makes for better valvetrain control. I have seen the HS's cause valve float on cars that did not have float issues with stock rockers, simply because of valvetrain mass.

If anyone has any questions, we'd be glad to help. We offer a full line-up of aftermarket rockers as well as the Harland Sharp modified stock rockers. We do thousands of hours of R&D every year to ensure we are on the leading edge of the market in what we do! We can help!

Thanks
Have ya'll tested the Crane rockers? I wouldn't believe they give 15hp either unless I saw a comparison, which I have. It does make sense though. All the Cranes do is give more lift.

Quick Reply: Help! What the F*** is in on my oil pan?