Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Priming the oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Priming the oil pump

Does anyone prime the oil pump with luberplate before putting it on? That used to be the thing to do so that the pump would start sucking up the oil quicker. Since there isn't a way to spin oil pump other than cranking the engine over, does anyone plug the plugs and fuel injector fuse and spin the motor over?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Launching!

I only use a light coat of lubriplate in the oil pump, then pull the injector fuse and pop off the two coil harness master plugs- one for each bank. seems to be that it takes about 8 or so ten second bursts of the starter to start showing oil pressure on the gauge.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nine-eight
I only use a light coat of lubriplate in the oil pump, then pull the injector fuse and pop off the two coil harness master plugs- one for each bank. seems to be that it takes about 8 or so ten second bursts of the starter to start showing oil pressure on the gauge.
You don't need to pull the fuse, just hold it at WOT whe you crank and it will keep the injectors off.

I lubed my Melling pump with a liberal amount assembly lube. Cranked it for around 15 second, then plugged the coils in, it fired and made instant pressure.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

I used the special tool that all "LS" engines use. Im service manager at a Chevy dealer so I got lucky. It took me 6 quarts to get oil thru the pushrods. You fill a canister with a hand pump attached remove the oil gallery plug on the drivers side and pump away. My engine builder says this is the most important item to do before turning over a engine.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

all u have to do is poor oil in the bottom of the oil pump were the pick tube goes bolted, turn the oil pump by hand the and oil will go down, then just install, thats what i did and i got instant oil pressure on my h.c swap project, worked like a charm
Old 08-24-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pack with Redline Assembly Lube, spin motor with plugs out and coils disconnected.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Pack with Redline Assembly Lube, spin motor with plugs out and coils disconnected.
This is exactly what I did.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have actually heard of a guy taking a shop vac to the oil filter area (with filter off) and sucking until oil came out. I havent tried it but i was going to if mine didnt prime. I have a remote mount filter that sits above my engine so i was able to fill the pump first.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

If you are changing the pump while replacing cam , heads I just pack the pump with petroleum jelly.

If starting a new engine I use the pump method like fossil recommended.

I do not recommend constantly spinning an engine over with out plugs to try and build oil pressure.

If done correctly the engine should build pressure with in a few seconds.

Ryan
Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fossil
I used the special tool that all "LS" engines use. Im service manager at a Chevy dealer so I got lucky. It took me 6 quarts to get oil thru the pushrods. You fill a canister with a hand pump attached remove the oil gallery plug on the drivers side and pump away. My engine builder says this is the most important item to do before turning over a engine.

Agreed.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Where is the oil galley plug and what kind of fitting is needed to connect a hand pump to it? So the consensuses is that cranking over the engine to get oil pressure is Bad? I really don't see how that would hurt anything.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fossil
This is the way to go. I've just never seen anyone get oil to the PRs by turning it over with the plugs out. I tried it, it didn't work and in the end I just started the car and within a few seconds I had pressure. If you use assembly lube, I think the harm will be little to nothing.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 PM

yes prime the oil pump
Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dz999
Where is the oil galley plug and what kind of fitting is needed to connect a hand pump to it? So the consensuses is that cranking over the engine to get oil pressure is Bad? I really don't see how that would hurt anything.
xTooltipElement
Service Information
2007 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Document ID: 1410095
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Prelubing
Tools Required
J 45299 Engine Preluber

Important: A constant and continuous flow of clean engine oil is required in order to properly prime the engine. Be sure to use an approved engine oil as specified in the owners manual.

Remove the engine oil filter, and fill with clean engine oil.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Install the oil filter.
Tighten
Tighten the oil filter to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Locate the engine block left front oil gallery plug (116).
Install the M16 x 1.5 adapter P/N 509375.

Install the flexible hose to the adapter and open the valve.
Pump the handle on the J 45299 in order to flow a minimum of 1-1.9 liters (1-2 quarts) engine oil. Observe the flow of engine oil through the flexible hose and into the engine assembly.
Close the valve and remove the flexible hose and adapter from the engine.
Install the gallery plug to the engine.
Tighten
Tighten the oil gallery plug to 60 N·m (44 lb ft).

Top-off the engine oil to the proper level.

Quick Reply: Priming the oil pump