Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed the ticking/squeeking coming from my valve train.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed the ticking/squeeking coming from my valve train.

I posted up about a month ago about a squeeking coming from my valve train when I started my engine. Wasn't TOO loud, just a little louder than the normal sewing machine sound, but it would always go away when the engine warmed up. Then it started getting louder. I changed my oil and really didn't find anything in it(didn't cut my filter apart either). When I changed out my oil (RP5-30), it got a little softer but it was still there. I bought a set of low-mileage rockers from a friend locally and put 'em in and it cleared it right up. I was really hoping it wasn't a lifter! There's also much less of a sewing machine sound than when I bought the car. Hope this helps everyone! I think I will be sending my beat up set to harlan/sharp for a rebuild!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you, good to hear you got it cleared up. I have a similar problem but the noise doesnt start until my car warms up...going to go for smaller pushrods and ANOTHER set of new lifter if that doesnt clear it up.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ANOTHER set of lifters?! That's a hell of a lot of work to do. Have you replaced your rockers?

BTW, I have all bolts ons, LS6 intake, Tv.2, comp 918s, 7.4 hardened PRs, on stock 2000 Z28 heads (853). Car is much happier!