Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgraded internals for a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgraded internals for a turbo

i am thinking about getting an sts turbo i have an idea of what i should upgrade internally. If each one that reads this gives a list and i can see if i missed anything. O and before i forget i want something that can handle about 8-10 psi. I know i would have to tune too.......but if you guys could just write a list. Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moscosoalfredo
i am thinking about getting an sts turbo i have an idea of what i should upgrade internally. If each one that reads this gives a list and i can see if i missed anything. O and before i forget i want something that can handle about 8-10 psi. I know i would have to tune too.......but if you guys could just write a list. Thanks
"Mandatory items"
1. Springs. Patrioit duals are a good choice to prevent high RPM valve float.
2. Hardened pushrods.
3. Fuel, fuel , fuel. Minimum a 255 in-tank pump + 42lb injectors. 60's are good insurance. I ran MotoTron 60's w/ my STS. Still run them NA.
4. FMIC. The STS will need a FMIC or meth at 8-10PSI (Trust me on this).
5. Like you said....tuning. Tuning is critical. 2-bar SD is the best setup for your goals.
6. Run stock manifolds. Holds heat to prevent lag. Also wrap the exhaust for heat retention.

"Optional Items"
1. Going 10PSI....ARP rod bolts are a good insurance policy. (There's a how-to write-up in the sticy section to perfoerm w/ the engine in the car).
2. LQ9 heads. The 72cc chambers drop CR to 9 to 1. Beneficial for preventing detonation w/ boost.
3. A turbo-friendly cam. The SpeedInc 225 grind or a CC228 on a 116LSA work well. I used the latter when I was boosted. A wide LSA is the key. Don't want overlap w/ boost.
4. Upgrade the STS oil return pump to a Mocal unit.
5. Add a .065 oil restrictor to the turbine inlet oil feed. Reduces oil buildup in the turbine and helps prevent oil seep past the turbo rings into the intake/exhaust tracts.

"Ideal setup"
4. If your budget allows....all the above w/ forged rods + pistons.on an iron block 370 setup.