Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Charge.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No Charge.....

Alright guys sat. i decided to take the car out for a spin when i did i had noticed the voltage was right around 13-15 about 5mins later it all of sudden fell down to about 8-9....I went to Wal Mart got another battery got that in there and only got about 9-10 IF THAT....So i got a new alternator put the car on jackstands unbolted the alternator and everything and i noticed the voltage regulator wire had some how got cut......Now i fixed the wire by purchasing some 18gauge and used a but connecter to connect them together and bolted back up the alternator and fired her up and i got right around 13-15 i thought well sweet now im done....Well i took it for a ride today and the same thing happened AGAIN and i have no clue whats wrong i double checked everything to make sure everything was hooked/bolted up right and it is.....Has anybody had this problem or know what else it could be any help would be greatly appreciated.......

Brandun......
Old 08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a hand held volt meter and check the output to the battery just to make sure the guage on the car isn't trying to go out. A good reading would be somewhere around 12-15 volts (13.8 volts is what the alternator should be putting out). Anything less and you might wanna go ahead and have the alternator tested to see if you might need another one.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue98Z
Get a hand held volt meter and check the output to the battery just to make sure the guage on the car isn't trying to go out. A good reading would be somewhere around 12-15 volts (13.8 volts is what the alternator should be putting out). Anything less and you might wanna go ahead and have the alternator tested to see if you might need another one.

Thank you sir ill try that out.....
Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna bet that the little red wire broke again....triple check it....
Old 08-25-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grimes
I'm gonna bet that the little red wire broke again....triple check it....

Well i just now got back from purchasing yet ANOTHER alternator i had the last one tested and it failed so im hoping they just gave me a bad one wish me luck!!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Well i put the other alternator back in the car and right now it's putting about 13.10 volts to the battery but for some reason the voltage slowly starts to fall as like if there is a draw coming from somewhere.I have to find this fast because im not sure how many more they are goin to replace for free lol........
Old 08-26-2008, 04:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the whole wire or just where it was cut? Did you notice any corrosion in the wire? If so, get a whole new wire. I know you said you checked everything, but start checking grounds. They may be tight, but that doesn't mean they have a good ground. I hate electrical problems, so I understand the frustration. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue98Z
Did you replace the whole wire or just where it was cut? Did you notice any corrosion in the wire? If so, get a whole new wire. I know you said you checked everything, but start checking grounds. They may be tight, but that doesn't mean they have a good ground. I hate electrical problems, so I understand the frustration. Good luck.

Im one step ahead of ya i checked EVERY ground/wire on the car and no corrosion what so ever.As for the wire i just used a but connector and connected them with that seems to work fine and seems to be holding the charge now.I think it's ok after the new alternator im gonna mess with it tomm. and make sure everything is good to go and thanks again!!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Where are you getting your alternators? pep boys etc? might look into oem if problems persist.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ALLMOTOR346CI
Im one step ahead of ya i checked EVERY ground/wire on the car and no corrosion what so ever.As for the wire i just used a but connector and connected them with that seems to work fine and seems to be holding the charge now.I think it's ok after the new alternator im gonna mess with it tomm. and make sure everything is good to go and thanks again!!!!!

Butt connectors aren't that great....I would seriously just strip the two wires and solder them....best way. You don't wanna get stuck somewhere later on because the connector came apart!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grimes
Butt connectors aren't that great....I would seriously just strip the two wires and solder them....best way. You don't wanna get stuck somewhere later on because the connector came apart!

I will but for right now it seems to be holding up along with everything else so i should be good well atleast im hoping......
Old 08-26-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ALLMOTOR346CI
I will but for right now it seems to be holding up along with everything else so i should be good well atleast im hoping......
Haha, okay, well glad things are working out!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

i dont if this was mentioned but i had a smiliar problem on a chevy lumina i owned, i replaced batteries and alternators and then found out it was the postive wire contected to the starter, it was loose and then i tightened and it fixed the problem, it completed the circuit.