Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft in really bad shape

Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft in really bad shape

I removed my camshaft and it was all torn up. The lobes were eaten away pretty good on some lobes and not really on others? Does anyone know what would do this. Also how do you check the lift and duration on a cam. Can you measure it. I have not found anything for the part number I have been putting in. The MS4 cam that I got looks the same as the one that was in my car. The car did not have dual springs before. I thought you were supposed to get dual and no god given way did it pull like it had that big of a cam. I am confused. Any advice would be great thankss!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious, did the lifters look better or worse than the cam?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

I thought it was hard to tell the difference between my stock cam and my comp cam. I bought it off of a member and thought i was getting ripped. My times and numbers don't lie. There is definitely a cam in there.

As for the chewing up, what springs, pushrods, and lifters are in the car?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

For a quick check on lift, get a set of calipers and measure the lobe across the highest point and then measure the base circle. Subtract the base circle from the highest (lift) measurement, and multiply the result by 1.7 to obtain valve lift with the factory rocker ratio. To check duration, you need to send it to someone with a cam doctor.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

pull the heads, change lifters, pray your bearings are ok
Old 08-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Default cam

The first 2 lifters that I felt when I was doing the cam were smooth as hell. No damage to them. Im confused on the cam though. I got a measurement when I measured the lobes. The base do you mean the base of the lobe or the cam. I did the lobe of the cam and it came out to be .586on the lift. The ms4 cam that I already put in had the same size lobes and it looked to be the same on the lift. Now I thought it was .649 on the lift. The cam that I put in said ms4 on the side but the readings I am getting show I had like the same cam in there. I measured the lobes on the ms4 and then went to the one I had and it wass dead on the same freakin size. I had 918 springs before. I am just confused. Did I put the same cam in my car again. What a waste of money. But the cam was eatin up so it had to be replaced anyways. Also I had harland sharp 1.8 roller rockers. Now my setup is prc dual springs. New pushrods. Same lifters and a so called ms4 cam.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the lifters are ok then it might be the cam bearings that made the damage . the ms4 should be smaller measuring it compared to a stock cam or smaler than the ms4 . i had a ms4 knock off in my car for a few thousand miles . was not that impressed with it though i could verify the numbers as they were grind numbers etched into it . might want to think about another camshaft after making sure everything else is ok for it .
good luck
Old 08-31-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

To measure the lift as I said above, first measure across the cam lobes where you get the largest measurement, at the top of the lobe. Write this number down. Then measure it 90 degrees from there, where you get the smallest measurment (this is the base circle). Write this number down, then subtract the second number from the first number. This gives you the lobe lift. Then multiply your lobe lift by 1.7 to obtain valve lift with factory ratio rockers. Obviously you need to check an intake and an exhaust lobe on each cam this way to have an accurate comparison. Just because they measure the same at the highest point doesn't mean they have the same lift. If the measurement over the high points on the lobes were the same, but one had a smaller base circle, that one would have more lift.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default DaveX

Thank you I am retarded I wasnt measuring 90 degrees from the highest point. I measured the base circle. I did the lobe and it made a lot more sense which is .586 lift. I read the thread again I was just kind of panicking at the time I did not get to measure the Ms4 but it was carved on the side so I know that it is and it better since I ordered it from TSP. Is it worth it to port factory heads. Also going with fast92/92 manifold and throttlebody. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Are you certain that there wasn't any damage to the cam bearings? It would be terrible to put all this money into it and for this to happen all over again.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Default bearings

from what I could see the first 2 bearings were slightlly scratched were talking I dont even think enough to hurt it. I did not check the back ones. Can you even put new bearings in without having to really pull the engine and rebuild it. Would the bearing spin or tear up the cam? If it is going to destroy my engine then I dont want to do it. I would rather put new bearings in but if you have to do a **** load of work like pulling the engine/dropping the engine then I cant afford that. My money went to this retardedly high priced fast manifold but its gonna be well worth it if everything works out. But lifters, dual springs, cam and all is new. So it will be a fresh start. Could the 1.8 Harland sharp roller rockers have messed up the cam.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be more concerned about the lifters than the bearings. If the lobes were chewed up, most likely the lifters are as well. Unfortunatly, you have to pull the heads to get to the lifters.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

I don't believe it is reccomened to run 1.8 rockers with the newer cams that have aggressive lobes.Don't know about your old cam but it sure would apply to your new ms4.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Default rockers

Yea I want to try and get the heads worked a little while there off. I am going back to the stock rockers. I know that the ms4 and 1.8 rockers = bad. I ordered Comp R lifters so hopefully they hold up to the abuse they are about to see. The bearings I dont have a bad feeling about. The lifters like anyone said would be messed up if the cam is too. I was not able to see the back lifters but I bet 100% they are done. Also my engine had a knocking/ticking coming from the heads. But whatever new setup is going to rock n roll. But its just weird how that cam got torn up so badly. Also wouldnt there be shavings from the cam. I am guessing that they did not get in the bearings?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

You dont want comp r's you would want the comp oems. The comp r lifters require a different preload and i believe they require the adjustable rocker arms.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Default lifters

I thought for some reason they were both called comp r's. I got the ones that are for an ls1. It didnt say anything about adjustable pushrods or anything so I think I am good. Well thanks for the help I am glad I decided on the new lifters. And putting my hands together and praying for the bearings.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Comp 'r' a recomended to use adjustable rockers. Use either LS7 or Comp 850-16
Old 09-01-2008, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

How many miles do the lifters have on them. I wiped a lobe on high mileage LS1 when a lifter lost it's prime... back ticking noises like you were talking about. Only a few ways to hurt the lobes - valvetrain issues or no oil.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

I hope its not oil starvation which sounds possible. My oil pressure stays are 36-38 at idle sometimes it moves a hair. I will be able to hopefully tell more with the heads off and looking at my old lifters. Im removing the heads today so we will see. The car did have 100,000 miles on it.

Search this Thread