Sponsored by:

LS1 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 rebuild

This may be a bit long.

I have a 2000 / 4L60E in my 99 Wrangler. Runs good. Doesn't use oil. About 35,000 miles on it. In the morning when I start it up you can hear a slight knock in park but when I shift into reverse or drive it gets louder. I'm thinking it's "piston slap". I have driven it about 3000 miles since I did the swap. Hasn't got better or any worse. Mostly goes away after 3-4 miles of driving but if you listen close its still there.

I took a 2 foot piece of rubber hose and listened to different areas of the engine. Slight sewing machine noises from the valve covers. Not really anything around the oil pan until you get to the front up by the balancer.
Kind of a rattling noise. Do the LS1 oil pumps make noise that can be heard outside the engine? My oil pressure hot is 30-35 lbs idle and 45-50 at 2100 rpm down the road. 10-30 Mobil 1. Can the timing chain make any noise and stil function?

New alternator and power steering pump so they shouldn't be noisy. Exhaust is tight.

Did the Seafoam thing and that didn't seem to change the slight knock.

Like I said it runs well. It will pull smoothly up to 6000. No missing or popping.

I bought the engine used. Listened to it run before I bought it but with open exhaust.

Any thoughts on the noise at the front of the oil pan?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kocking noise

if i am not misktaken gm had a tsb (technical service bullington) on the oil pump gasket and o-ring causing the knocking noise.