Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking after gettting on it hard.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking after gettting on it hard.

Ok first off about 2 months ago I missed a 3rd to 4th shift hit 2nd and bent a valve. I tore down the passenger side head and replaced the valve and noticed a small tick at first and turned out to be on the driver side (used the hollow pipe to ear method) after I added some Lucus seemed to clear up for a while.

Well today when I got on it and went from 1st to 2nd chirped the tires and got off of it and then like 3 seconds later I heard a terrible ticking and smelt gas really bad!

Could it be a sticky lifter or what? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

first thing I thought was bent pushrod. but I see u have hardened pushrods. maybe lifters or even worse, spun bearing. but don't forget to rule out the easy stuff first. loose plug/plug wire or exhaust leak. well I hope its somethin easy to fix brother. I spun a bearing and put mine in the shop today to get rebuilt. good luck.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Well as soon it started it stopped like a couple minutes later. Thats why we thought it might be a sticking lifter, any ideas?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

im plumb out man. maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

You smelled gas from where, exhuast? Sometimes hardend pushrods bend a little and they etch out the alluminum around the hole that they move up and down inside and that causes a tick and then if it stops bending it wears the metal away and the ticking is mitigated. That is the most practical thing I can think of it's more likely to go away with hardened pushrods than without but obviously there is still an issue. good luck maybe it could be something else
Old 09-05-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

I would still check pushrods. Then lifters. By the way, you upgraded your rockers and pushrods with a stock internal motor?
Old 09-05-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leakdown test time.....
Old 09-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slp--firehawk
You smelled gas from where, exhuast? Sometimes hardend pushrods bend a little and they etch out the alluminum around the hole that they move up and down inside and that causes a tick and then if it stops bending it wears the metal away and the ticking is mitigated. That is the most practical thing I can think of it's more likely to go away with hardened pushrods than without but obviously there is still an issue. good luck maybe it could be something else
The ticks is heard alot from the front driver side when i have the hollow tube up to it. Thats the side we didnt tear off.

I smelled the gas really bad from outside of the car, im talkin bad like as if i had a cup of gas to my nose or something, really strong odor.

I actually did not put the rods and rockers on the car, when i bought it it was supposedly stock and when i pulled the head after the valve was bent thats what we found. But when we pulled the head we checked the rods and they were all straight. what makes me wonder if it might have a cam is i raced a cammed WS6 a couple weeks ago and beat him by a car. dunno if he didnt have a tune or what but go figure. It feels slower than my old 97 LT1 and it had minor bolt ons and also doesnt feel as fast as my bro's stock 02 Z.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Leakdown test time.....
What all does that involve? we did a compression test on all cylinders when we pulled the head and all was good.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:43 AM
TECH Resident

check the pushrods, I have bent hardened pushrods before. I would put my money on a messed up lifter. If I were you I would go ahead and replace those suckas before they do some damage. I am currently working thru some lifter damage and it is not fun at all.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my ticking turned into clanking... clanking turned into, bent pushrods, failed lifter, valve and piston intercourse, along with a spun bearing
Old 09-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Teching In

This might be the dumbest question in the world but can you change the lifters without pulling the motor from the car, can i just pull the heads and change em?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the cover and check the springs, pushrods etc. Do a leakdown first - get a leak down tester (they're fairly cheap), pull the plugs and follow the instructions (you'll need a compressor too).

Lifters can be changed in the car, just need to pull the heads.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crazytglo
This might be the dumbest question in the world but can you change the lifters without pulling the motor from the car, can i just pull the heads and change em?
just pull the heads off and you can get them. Just hope none are smashed up so that they have to be pushed out the bottom.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Well i think ima just drive her like an old man for a while till i have the time and money to tear her down again, or until i can get a beater. My buddy has a leakdown tester i can use so thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Guys, I was the one that helped pull the head. We pulled the entire rocker arm system from both heads. While we had it out, we checked the pushrods and they are not bent.

Why would we need to do a leakdown test? Compression was around 175 to 185 on all cyl's. Would low compression cause a tick?

I have one question for you guys saying it's a spun bearing.......which bearing could it be? I mean, it has super clean oil, doesn't tick all the time, and has great oil pressure. I thought a spun bearing made lots of noise all the time. Am I wrong about this? Is there any bearing that can spin that are on the top side of the motor? Thats where the noise is coming from.

(all questions asked sarcastically) Just kidding of course.

~Joe
Old 09-06-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crazytglo
Well i think ima just drive her like an old man for a while till i have the time and money to tear her down again, or until i can get a beater. My buddy has a leakdown tester i can use so thanks for all the help guys!
if you do drive, do as you said and be very easy on it. I just pulled the last lifter outta my motor, which required pulling the cam to drop the lifter outta the bottom. That sucka was toast, half the roller is missing and two chunks of the lifter are gone.