Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of head to use on stock cubes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What kind of head to use on stock cubes

If I was to snag a set of heads to have worked locally, what kind should I look for (5.3, 5.7, etc.). Stock cube, small duration high lift cam and headers car. Would bigger valves benfit even with stock cubes, or would it be better to just get compression bumped up and port and polish? Thanks
Old 09-04-2003, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Default Re: What kind of head to use on stock cubes

5.3's are very popular.

Might want to check out Patroit Performance Cylinder heads.

http://www.texas-speed.com

or

http://www.patriot-performance.com

Call 888-462-3882 and ask for Terry

Patriot has no core charge, their heads list for ~$1100 to $1300 depending. A good set of cores will hit you for $300 to $500 depending on if they are 5.3 or 6.0's, add in new valve guides, new valves, port work & valve job it's going to be hard to beat Terry on the decent set of heads.

I like the 5.3 for extra compression or the 6.0 milled down for more compression. The TR220 or similar is a good starting point for the type of cam your asking about. I think going 2.02 is about the limit due to the valve seat on the stock head with out additional work. The 3.9 bore shroud bigger valves ie 2.05+ to a degree.

Terry can do 2.05+ etc valves because he does new valve seats on each head so it's easy to upgrade.

With that said,

MTI, GTP, JRP, RGR, LPE, Absolute all also offer great heads.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Call Jay at Absolute Speed. Tell him what you are doing adn he will custom taylor anything you want. He is also very insightful and more than willing to help- when he answers the damn phone.

Brian at TEA is also very helpful.

Patriot seems to be putting down decent #'s and are the cheapest (price wise) around.

Joe Prince is another that has put down some very good numbers at a good value.
If you are looking for all out performance and cost is not a factor- then go with GTP or LG...
There are tons of other vendors that will build you a killer set of heads. These are some ofthe more popular.
However- I personally would not take my LS1 heads to a "local" shop that does not deal specifically with LS1's. The LS1 is a relatively new animal and due to the unique head and port design- the rules have changed. Just because a head porter makes a killer set of SB1 (old style SBC heads) in no way means that he has ANY idea of what needs to happen on a set of LS1 heads. It is very easy to completely **** these heads up and waste a lot of money doing it. Ask around- there are a ton of guys that have done this and I'm sure that every vendor that does heads can tell you more than a couple of horror stories of customers bringing in a set of heads to fix simply because they did EXACTLY what you intend to do.

The sponsors on this site have put in tons of R&D to make these heads perform. Learn from others mistakes....
Old 09-05-2003, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

WTF are 5.3 heads exactly?
Old 09-05-2003, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had a set of MTI S2's on my stock bottom end car....had a X1 cam too, pretty stout combo...
Old 09-05-2003, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

Heads from a 5.3L truck motor. I think you guys are missing the idea here. I want to know what stock heads would be best to start out with, and if bigger valves on stock cubes is a waste. I am not asking about who's ported heads are good or what some smallblock ******* did to a perfectly good set of LSx heads. I will take care of the rest This is all purely speculation anyway. I think maybe I am just too lazy to change the springs on my heads in the car. Any excuse....
Old 09-05-2003, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just port the stock heads...
Old 09-05-2003, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

ok thats an option. definetly the cheapest.