Sponsored by:

Dart 205 Pushrod length help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dart 205 Pushrod length help!

Stock Dart 205 heads: no milling.
Stock 6.0L GM MLS gaskets. .053 compressed thickness I believe.
Stock rockers, pedestals
Torquer V2 Cam. Base circle of 1.455 intake; 1.443 exhaust. This is versus the stock of 1.565 or so (all are +/- some small amount).

So the difference between the base circles is about .122 exhaust and .110 on intake. So between .061 and .055 different on the pushrod length. So should I get pushrods of 7.450 length?

This assumes the wipe is OK, etc. Is my math right?

George
Old 09-09-2008, 04:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks correct, BUT, I would measure to ensure the Dart rocker stand height in relation to the valves, etc. is the same. Adjustable pushrod is less than $20 and could save buying wrong pushrods. Otherwise you are just estimating and you need to get your preload correct. I would also check wipe as well. My stock rocker wipe on the Darts wasn't very good (now running Cranes).
Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I checked the wipe and it is difficult to tell. The wipe is pretty wide and 1st it seemed high to the intake side. Did it again and was still wide but looked pretty good.

Measured the pushrod length with a checker and I got about 7.275 on the intake and about 7.290 on the exhaust. With 0.080 preload that makes 7.355 and 7.370. Seems kind of short compared to what I expected in my OP. Why am I missing .080-> .095" in length? BTW, I'm using LS2 lifters, if that makes a difference but I don't think so.

Say I wanted to move the wipe pattern .020 down. Any idea what shim I would put under the rocker stand? This would also get my pushrod length up some.

Looks like the 7.4" pushrods I have will be OK at this point.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Depends on where the wipe is in relation to the center. The stock rockers will wipe pretty wide with the higher lift as well (one reason I went the roller route). I would just get some washers and play around to find the correct wipe, then once you know the value you can make the correct thickness shims. I am trying to remember, either Ford or Olds shims will work, they are square.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Well I decided to try and mount the Patriot Shaft mount roller rockers instead. I've had these laying around for years. I was gonna put them on later when I had more time but I decided to try them anyways; Why buy another set of PR's later.

Well, I didn't machine the pushrod holes in the heads enough so the PR's are catching on the head . ****. Looks like I will have to sell them since I don't plan on pulling the heads anytime soon.

I'm gonna try the stock ones tomorrow and see what I get. I put on a set of lifter springs and that makes it real easy to see the wipe.

The Patriot shaft's had a great wipe.

George
Old 09-12-2008, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

With all the stuff the vendors sell, I am really surprised that no vendor has come up with a set of shims for the stock rocker setup since so many guys stay with the stock rockers.