Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~Need advice! Soon to be LS1 owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~Need advice! Soon to be LS1 owner with a few questions

Hey guys, looks like I'll finally be picking up a LS1 car Thursday if everything goes well. Had a couple quick questions, I'm very mechanically incline but been a Mustang owner for all my driving life (I know, I know)...anyway, on to the car.

Picking up a 99 Z28, M6 car with the following mods:

-SLP airbox lid
-SLP loudmouth catback
-SLP 02 simulators
-CAGS
-Shifter

I believe it also has a Edelbrock Panhard and coming with BMR Subframes I'll install in the first few days.

First question, I've read all the old threads but what should my first few mods be? Being a pre-01 car LS6 intake and ported/aftermarket TB?.. Pacesetter LTs and Midpipe?...I really want to leave the stock gears in it for gas mileage, but what are your suggestions?

Second, should i stick with the SLP Catback or switch to true duals after the header swap? Ive got a great exhaust guy here that'll do a setup very reasonable...

Third, whats the best cam for a car that I'm going no further than full bolt-ons?...The absolute furthest I'm goin into the car is heads/cam/intake full bolt-ons and a little spray...Just need a good all around cam with decent drivablity (I do love a nice lump though!)

Fourth, Ive got a set of MSD wires sitting here at my shop...are they worth the trouble of installing along with some new spark plugs (oh so much fun!).

Also, Ive got a Hypertech sittin here too, Part #30025...Is it worth jack **** or leave it sittin on the shelf?...

Thanks in advance for all help guys, Im very excited about joining your ranks. Ive found this board to be the BEST Ive ever been on, much more helpful than ANY Mustang board Ive been on for the last 6+ years. You guys rock!

Later, -Josh
Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. ls6/PP TB on a budget fast 92/92 if you can afford it and do the L/T's and ORY

2. I have heard the lm1 is rediculous with L/T's but it might sound good with a cam

3. check out the sponsors if you want a mild cam go with a 224R or I would go with the MS3 from TSP makes good power and like the spray

4. I wold instal them along with the plugs, plugs arent hard just time consuming if it is your first time

5. Ditch the hypertech and get a dynotune
Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) I would do the ls6 intake and p+p tb first, followed by LT's. Since it is manual, I would do 4.10s anyway. Just change your driving style, and it really isn't to big of a difference. Mine haven't affected me too much, if at all.
2) Duals if the price you can get is good. If not, you already have a catback, throw some cats on the y pipe and call it a day.
3) Streetassasin said it best. Way to many cams out there, but 224R and MS3 are proven performers Just see what you want.
4) plugs and wires when you do the LT set up. Might as well.
5) Agreed again with streetassain
Old 09-09-2008, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I'll address the cam.
For power, torque, and DDability, you could go anywhere from a TR224 (search it) to a low 230's duration. As soon as my 'Vette sells I'm going to be back in an SS and I'll be getting a low 230s cam and I'll be driving it to school everyday.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

hello, congrats coming over from the dark side (ford) its great you have SFC, panhard do you also have LCA's? lower control arms. loudmouth would be to loud for me. figure out which mods you want then get a TUNE! i have an article on ls1 dos and donts if you pm me a fax number i'll send it. welcome! just my 2 cents.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys...keep em comin'!

Ok, so we're sayin...LS6 Intake & P&P TB, then Longtubes (and the plugs and wires), and most likely a True Dual set-up (cant stand the way most of these cars sound for some reason), a TR224 or MS3 Cam then a Tune? In that order??? And possibly gears at some time...

That sound about right?

Man it sucks that its not a '01 and up car, does the LS6 intake really make that much of a difference?...

DANOZ28, no LCA's...do I need em on these cars?...and I sent you a pm with my fax num...
Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

If you are going to put a cam in the LS6 is worth it for sure. My buddy with a cam pick up 12-14rw with just the LS6 over the LS1 intake. If your going to get heads too the fast set up is best. I'm wondering why it has rear o2 sims if it does not have LTs. Check to see if it already has LTs, o2 sims are pointless with out LTs.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ABQ99TA
If you are going to put a cam in the LS6 is worth it for sure. My buddy with a cam pick up 12-14rw with just the LS6 over the LS1 intake. If your going to get heads too the fast set up is best. I'm wondering why it has rear o2 sims if it does not have LTs. Check to see if it already has LTs, o2 sims are pointless with out LTs.
I dunno...Ill check it out. If everything goes as planned she'll be in her new garage by Friday evening...
Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Well, shes home! and i love her!!!

Keep the suggestions comin guys...