Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

¿#&$F$&# Morel lifters = Hogwash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ¿#&$F$&# Morel lifters = Hogwash?

Been reading for a long time about lifters since I needed a new set for the new engine. Had bought some Caddy lifters which had to sell to a buddy who needed a set fast as I was sitting waiting for my engine. Ok, so I read some more about how the Morels are unique, made lika this, lika that, the chit and best ever. Maybe they are. I really don't know. I said, I will stretch my dollar and get nothing but the unique best for my engine. I then ordered a set of Morels.

I was in disbelief when the Morels lifters were delivered to me yeasteday. They were nothing more than Lunati lifters. At first I thought there was a mistake, then I thought I was taken for a ride. So I called Lunati and was told they are one and the same, regardless of the brand name on them. I was so pissed because, in a way, I feel deceived by all the hype going on about Morels. Lunati says something like Lunati makes them for Morel or viceversa. I really don't care who does what for whom. Now I wonder if I could have got tha chit same lifters for a lower price under a different brand name.

I mean, like you know, they don't come cheap and one takes the extra effort, strecth out the dollars to get nothing but the unique, singular, outstanding and never imitated, unsurpassed, grandiose Morels, tha chit, the ones right out of Mt. Olympus, only to find out these are generic lifters that are sold under God knows how many brand names.

Just thought I let you guys know just in case soemone is looking for lifters to be aware of all the sales pitch sh--t that goes up and down the forums. It is not like I did not do a thorough search. I did, and I read, and I asked, and I said, and I was told, and read some more, never to find out about this. Maybe the Lunati, Morel, ... god knows how many brand names they come in, are the best. I don't know. What I know is that they are not the ones unique and different from the rest, the ones that you never seen the like before. Read below one of the adds:

"Morel lifters are unlike any lifters you've ever seen before. The lifter body is fully machined from alloy steel bar stock, not a casting like OEM lifters. The nose wheel is machined from 8620 material and case hardened for durability. Inside diameter and outside diameter grinding tolerance is held to .0003” +/-. Morel lifters use stock OEM lifter guides and are capable of cam lifts up to .675” w/1.7 rockers (.395 lobe lift). Morel's proprietary hydraulic valving is designed for sustained high rpm levels commonly seen in performance applications."

What a big amount of hogwash! They are also Lunati, and maybe Crane, Manley, TrickFlow, Comp, so on and so forth along the line. If anyone knows more on the subject, please post right here so we all get to know the real story behind Morels and pricing. For all I know now I would not doubt if told they come right out of China!!

Last edited by Antonio de Armas; 09-09-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are made in Cleveland Ohio.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They are made by Morel, they are the top lifter out there, and Lunati has re-branded them in the past for less cost. They are not generic and your post has a lot of very incorrect information in it. Also, it is what you don't see that makes them better.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
They are made by Morel, they are the top lifter out there, and Lunati has re-branded them in the past for less cost. They are not generic and your post has a lot of very incorrect information in it. Also, it is what you don't see that makes them better.
Exactly what information in his post is incorrect? I don't see any incorrect information, just a guy who has a right to be pissed because maybe he could have saved some money by buying re-badged Morels from Lunati.

Larry
Old 09-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Exactly.

Moreover, want to share with you guys such that others may have the freedom to choose better. So far I have now found the Morels are the same as Lunati, Isky and Top Comp Cams roller lifters.

I did not know that when I placed my order because this information is not widespread. I really did my search on several forums. For those of you who already know this it is nothing remarkable; but for those of us who were in the dark on this it really shakes you when you receive a box that says Lunati instead of Morel, as expected. Being the same lifters there is no problem now. But... What would happen to all of you who know Lunati is the same as Morel, if and when Lunati decides to outsource their own lifters out of Shanghai Foundries and you didn't know it? How would you feel if you ordered some Lunati lifters thinking they were Morels only to find out the morning after that they are no longer Morel but rebadged Chiang Ho lifters?

What I mean, what is important to me is that information like this flows freely on the forums. Time and again we read post after post where a Comp Cam fan says his lifter is better than the Lunati, only to read further down a Morel lifter fan say his are better than all the rest. At the same time Vendor XYC had a sale on isky lifters for half the price!!!! You would think they are talking about different products when if fact they are exactly the same lifters. Will they be the same two weeks from now? Nobody wants to show up to a formal wear party dressed as Bugs Bunny thinking it was a costume party.

Last edited by Antonio de Armas; 09-09-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

I would be pissed too. extended rpm range is for road race when they run 8000 rpm's for a long time. my ls7's do the trick for 7k shift point's with out a problem for a 1/4 mile blast

But in the end you have a great lifter but paid more for it than you had too.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Antonio de Armas
Exactly.

Moreover, want to share with you guys such that others may have the freedom to choose better. So far I have now found the Morels are the same as Lunati, Isky and Top Comp Cams roller lifters.
Where are you getting this information? There is one Lunati part number that is a Morel lifter, the others are likely Eaton. There are only a few companies that make lifters, and with the exception of Morel, you haven't named one (not even GM). How about some part numbers and specific cross references? What is bad about the Morels?

What a big amount of hogwash!
Not hogwash, if you really do have the Morels, do you understand the difference between the lifters you have and the others? The GM lifters are what, $160 for a set. That's $10 per lifter and GM and the reseller are both making money. What materials, bearings and tolerances do you think they hold for about $3 per lifter for fabrication? Do you realize how hard it is to hold a tolerance of 0.0003" inches? Do you know the rollers on the GM lifter are 1010 steel and the Morels are 8620?

If you are going by what the sales tech told you at Lunati, I would take most of it with a grain of salt. There were a lot of threads several years ago on Lunati lifters and which ones were truly the Morels, there was only one Lunati part number and they were hard to find then. I doubt they are even in stock any more.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here you go, first link is to the only Lunati part number that is a Morel lifter: Link to part number

Here is a link to Lunati's web site, if you paid less than $657.06 (jobber price) then you got a bargain. Link 2

The Lunati lifters that were Morels were incorrectly priced a few years ago, that has obviously been corrected. While they were out there though, a few guys got a steal of a price, literally.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Yeah the part number for the lunati's is 72432.How much did you pay for the morels?Where did you order them from?The reason I ask is,everywhere I checked that carried the Lunati's,They are actually more ($523.00-$584.99)than what Morels go for$499.99As far as them being the same as comps or any other generic lifter,their not even close.If you're not happy with them,I'll trade you a set of new oem stock lifters for em....
Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

I think the main gripe here is he ordered and thought he was buying a Morel lifter and it shows up in a Lunati box. I'd want some questions answered as well.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Where are you getting this information? There is one Lunati part number that is a Morel lifter, the others are likely Eaton. There are only a few companies that make lifters, and with the exception of Morel, you haven't named one (not even GM). How about some part numbers and specific cross references? What is bad about the Morels?

-----------------------------------

Answer: www.ls1gto.com

__________________________________________________ _____________

Not hogwash, if you really do have the Morels, do you understand the difference between the lifters you have and the others? The GM lifters are what, $160 for a set. That's $10 per lifter and GM and the reseller are both making money. What materials, bearings and tolerances do you think they hold for about $3 per lifter for fabrication? Do you realize how hard it is to hold a tolerance of 0.0003" inches? Do you know the rollers on the GM lifter are 1010 steel and the Morels are 8620?

If you are going by what the sales tech told you at Lunati, I would take most of it with a grain of salt. There were a lot of threads several years ago on Lunati lifters and which ones were truly the Morels, there was only one Lunati part number and they were hard to find then. I doubt they are even in stock any more.

Answer: You got it all confused. Not comparing GM lifters with Morels. Only reason I mentioned GM's was because I had to sell them to a friend in need and then I decided to get a better lifter and pay more for a Morel set. I got Lunati and it happens both Lunati and Morel are one and the same. So are Comp Cams and so are Isky. For the present, at least, that is where we stand on this. Yesterday was yesterday, tomorrow will be tomnorrow. Today Lunati = Morel as far as LS1/LS6 hydraulic roller lifters is concerned.

__________________________________________________ __

I actually got them for $495 shipped. That very well could be the best anyone can do as far as price is concerned. That is not the point. Point is I want to share with you guys who may not be aware that as far as LS1 hydraulic roller lifters is concerned Lunati = Morel = Isky = Comp Cam Top Fuel lifters. I think it is a ood thing the info is out there. Had I known that two things would have been different in my search for information:

First and foremost:

It would have widened my search for information on the subject. Similarily it would have allowed me to unerstand what I was reading from the right point of view and correct perspective. IOW, I regret not having all the elements of knowledge when I was in the process of deciding which lifters were the best for me. It is irrelevant if the rest of the world already knows Morels are the best. It is no self evident truth by any means. I like to make well informed decisions.

Second,

It may well be that the price I paid for the Lunati = Morel lifters is a good deal. Thart is irrelevant. What is relevant to me is that in doing search for price comparison I was only looking at Morel lifters never knowing there was a whole bunch of other brands out there with the same product. By your own arguments someone looking for Lunati lifters may well have paid over $600 when they could have paid $495 shipped for Morels, which are exactly the same. Me getting a low price it is purely coincidental and not a determining factor for this discussion.

No, I am not trading any lifters and have nothing for sale.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

I'm willing to bet the GM makes a LOT more lifters than Morel does........
Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

I understand the issue here.

I knew that Morel made the lifters Lunati sends out when I ordered mine. At the time, I got them for right at $400.
This kind of thing happens with parts. Should companies maybe be more up front??? I suppose.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

What would have done when you got your lifters,and they were in a plain white cardboard box without morel written on it?The reason I ask is,That's how Morels are shipped.I just bought a set a couple of months ago,and they came with a sticker that said"Ls1/Ls6 hyd roller lifter with link bar".That's all that was on the entire box.And the whole Morel/lunati thing,that's old news,that can be found easily through the search function.I know,I used it to research the same thing 2 years ago.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Point is I want to share with you guys who may not be aware that as far as LS1 hydraulic roller lifters is concerned Lunati = Morel = Isky = Comp Cam Top Fuel lifters.
This gets back to my point, which ones? Obviously you paid the a pretty penny for your lifters as compared to GM, but your first post indicates that any number of brands would yield cost savings over Morel and that is not necessarily the case. Isky has a top shelf brand called "Tool Room", and I don't know for sure on the lifters but I do know their valve springs are PSI, a top spring. So if they are Morel and the price is similar then they very well can be Morel. Point is, your original post would indicate that simply buying any of the mentioned brands will net you a set of Morel lifters, which simply isn't the case. Also, Lunati sources from other than Morel, so part number is important too. Like I said earlier, there are only a few manufacturers. There is also no guarantee that the other brands are the exact same as a Morel either. If they submit a specification to Morel, who may actually build the lifter, there may be components within the lifter that is different since they are built to a vendors specification. So the question is are they simply re-branded or are they built to a different specification by Morel?

Last point, your initial post comes off as a total rant against Morel like they did something wrong. It would have been better stated as what lifters were the same as Morel.

Bottom line, these are an excellent lifter and you won't be disappointed. Just make sure you measure for preload (requirement is different than stock) and measure for pushrod length (Morels are taller and require a shorter pushrod).
Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Comp uses Morel-branded solid roller lifters (their catalog says what these are), Lunati has one (but I don't know if they still have it after being sold by Holley) and Isky has great lifters that cost a ton of money (but they are solid roller also).

Crane builds a direct competitor to the Morel and it is about as much money.

Point is, you won't find a cheaper price for Morels (or Morel equivalents) than Morel themself. The rant implies that you could source something cheaper - you can't unless it is an Eaton lifter.

However, because it came in a Lunati box, you have to wonder what lifter it really is.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's about principle. If I want to buy an orange popsicle, it'd best be orange. I don't care that it's a popsicle, tell me upfront if you are giving me something different.

Imagine if you want to buy a 13 sec Camaro and you are given a 13 sec Mustang instead? Wouldn't you be pissed? Sure both would be the same time, but in principle, its not the product that was advertised.

I think that goes for "Morel" lifters. If you are going to market a product, say up front what it's origin is instead of this marketing bullshit. At least have the decency to repackage the damn thing in a "Morel" box.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

You should take a look around your house I would bet at least 50% of the stuff you own is made by company "A" and sold by company "B". As long as it's good quality and they stand behind it, so what.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Morel lifters are unlike any lifters you've ever seen before. The lifter body is fully machined from alloy steel bar stock, not a casting like OEM lifters. The nose wheel is machined from 8620 material and case hardened for durability. Inside diameter and outside diameter grinding tolerance is held to .0003” +/-. Morel lifters use stock OEM lifter guides and are capable of cam lifts up to .675” w/1.7 rockers (.395 lobe lift). Morel's proprietary hydraulic valving is designed for sustained high rpm levels commonly seen in performance applications."

Keep this in mind when you look at your chair and how it was advertised to you versus that lifter.

We're talking about a precision designed component with "Proprietary" technology. Most of the time once mass produced, the extra "cost" you are paying for is the R&D that went into the item. Materials and manufacturing will vary, but the main goal is to bring down that cost. A perfect example is how LS6 heads are pretty much standard fare for all GM engines today. Back in the day, it was quite expensive. AFR heads don't cost as much for them to make anymore, what you are paying for is a design concept that was researched and tested and validated for the best of the best. Morel lifters make claims along those lines when in reality they are just selling another design as their own.

If the truth of the matter is that they are all the same lifters, then its best to simply go find the company that sells it the cheapest.

Last edited by SladeX; 09-27-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Antonio de Armas,

You got what you paid for since those are the same lifters. Who cares about if Lunati sells them also for more. They are 572.00 at Summit so you got a much better deal. Isky also sells them and also they sell for much more like 550.00-625.00 at Jegs and Summit and other shops under the non-Morel name. They are not like the regular GM, Crane or Comp lifters whatsoever.

Quick Reply: ¿#&$F$&# Morel lifters = Hogwash?