Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASA Cam and Backpressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ASA Cam and Backpressure

I'm running an ASA cam, Pacesetter LTs, ORY, and an SLP Dual Dual Exhaust (I have to have a quiet exhaust due to SCCA autocross sound regulations). I'm wanting to go with an electronic cutout for the events that I DON'T need the quiet muffler.

According to some documents that I have read, the ASA cam was desinged for a low backpressure racing exhaust, so my question is would a single cutout in i-pipe be enough (low backpressure), or would I be better off going with two cut outs, one after each header (no back pressure).

If you have any dyno charts / flow information to back up your posts, that would be most appreciated
Old 09-16-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I do not have any charts but I can tell you that we have installed that same cam in 3 different 6.0 set-up's. We installed it on a silverado ss lq9 with GMPP cnc'd heads 61.9cc chambers. With long tubes the cut outs open made .25 difference in 1/4 et. This was the same night with the same everything. We had an ongoing argument about the difference in backpressure. This truck had true dual mandrel bent 3 inch exhaust with a magnaflow x-pipe. Everything I have read about in our GM info has again & again reinterated that this cam is not successful without good exhaust. We were using dual 3 inch cut-outs.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CRAZYCUTER4.8
I do not have any charts but I can tell you that we have installed that same cam in 3 different 6.0 set-up's. We installed it on a silverado ss lq9 with GMPP cnc'd heads 61.9cc chambers. With long tubes the cut outs open made .25 difference in 1/4 et. This was the same night with the same everything. We had an ongoing argument about the difference in backpressure. This truck had true dual mandrel bent 3 inch exhaust with a magnaflow x-pipe. Everything I have read about in our GM info has again & again reinterated that this cam is not successful without good exhaust. We were using dual 3 inch cut-outs.
Thanks for the input. I take it no backpressure is the way to go with this cam.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

since when was back pressure good for any cam??
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

i would say that with long tubes and a ORY a single cut-out at the end of the Y pipe will flow plenty....i dont know that you would pick up anything with dual cutouts right off the headers...slp dual dual exhaust is quiet every time i have ever heard it...how quiet do you want it to be exactly?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that that cam is really sensitive to backpressure.

Quick Reply: ASA Cam and Backpressure