Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to lift my new 408 with no heads onto engine stand best place to bolt to and wha

Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need to lift my new 408 with no heads onto engine stand best place to bolt to and wha

Need to pick up my 408 which has no heads on it yet and put it on my engine stand. Can I safely put couple of bolts into head bolt holes.I don't have any head bolts yet though they are on my other engine which is still in my car.I am worried don't want to strip out the head holes or damage the threads so anyone know what bolts can use for temporary we have a bolt place near me . Assume they are metric of course. I could just chain under the engine but don't really want to scratch up stuff have no oil pan on there either yet.

It it ok to life the engine from just a couple bolts diagonally in the head bolt holes ?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bellhousing bolt on the rear, and find another big bolt on the front.

Make sure the chain doesn't mar up any mounting surfaces.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kept a set of ls1 head bolts for that very reason. I use them to hoist the shortblock up and it works great. I also agree, if it's apart like that, use a bellhousing bolt and one up toward the front to avoid damaging threads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to lift my new 408 with no heads onto engine stand best place to bolt to and wha