Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Car Trouble!!

Hello All,
Im new here to Ls1 Tech I just joined up so if Im posting this thread in the wrong section please forgive me. I recently broke a valve spring on my LS1, the spring just snapped, didnt drop valve or anything. But I replaced all the valve springs this weekend, put car back together, starts and runs fine, valves are all adjusted perfecto, but the problem is, is that i can hear a lil pop in the exhaust, then after idleing for a bit, it sounds like a fricking cannon going off out my exhaust (literally scared the **** outta me) My ? is Why? Wtf could it be? All I know is before I figured it to be a broken valve spring (b/c car still ran, just ran for ****) I had the whole computer flashed, and lost my tune etc. So yeah Im rambling on, I think I got all the basics out there.... Help Me Out Thanks... By the way Im here in IL
Old 09-22-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you say the valves are all adjusted... are you running a solid lifter set up?
Also you may have bent the valve with the broke spring.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 AM

Hydraulic lifters.... I was thinking maybe the valve was bent too... but I wanna make sure before I rip the whole motor apart once again..
Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

May wnat to pull that head and check that valve, also did you check to see if the push rod was bent? What springs did you put back in?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:55 AM

I did check the pushrod before I even replaced the springs, b/c I have a spare set of heads I was just going to throw on, but the pushrod was fine so I figured valve to be fine. I put CRANE Dual Springs in Part #144833-16 which by the way if you ever change valve springs on a car use the CRANE Dual Spring Compressor... It worked well
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did you use a hardened push rod with those springs or are you running the oem? If you have the oem's in there you need to get some harder ones.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 AM

Pushrods Are hardened CRANE Pushrods