Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam shaft options

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam shaft options

I'm looking for a nice cam to go with my intake/exhuast mods. I want good power but don't want to swap heads now. Any info at all will be appreciated. 2002 ss automatic.

p.s. The reason I want more power is because I litteraly just got back from riding in my friends viper. On the way home his friend pulled up in his 375awhp evo9. The viper was near stock but still destroyed the evo. I was thinking, man...i need more power!

I am near clueless on cam shafts so please fill me in.

yea i plan to just do bolt on's right now its stock all it has is a K&N..but i want to headers, programmer, and a cam...then get it tuned....trying to get to over 400 hp or so

Last edited by kwwrestler; 09-25-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a converter for your auto yet? You'll have some really nice gains with one, and you'll need it before an aftermarket cam anyway.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

what are your goals for the car?

is it your DD, weekend warrior, or what?

my advice is dont get caught up in the donkey dick cams either! small to medium sized cams make more useable power than huge cams for street cars! be reasonable when picking your cam and keep in mind that bigger is not always better.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Teching In

yea i plan to just do bolt on's right now its stock all it has is a K&N..but i want to headers, programmer, and a cam...then get it tuned.

The car is my daily driver but i only drive about 20 miles a day. looking for a solid 380-400whp. what can a converter do for me?

Last edited by kwwrestler; 09-25-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kwwrestler
yea i plan to just do bolt on's right now its stock all it has is a K&N..but i want to headers, programmer, and a cam...then get it tuned.

The car is my daily driver but i only drive about 20 miles a day. looking for a solid 380-400whp. what can a converter do for me?
I'm sure you can find a lot of suggestions using search function. However, an aftermarket torque converter (some ppl call it a "stall converter") will allow the engine to reach a higher part of the RPM range quicker. So you hit the engines "sweet spot" sooner. Doesn't add HP, but will get your engine into a good portion of the power band in less time.

You will need one anyway if you get an aftermarket cam, otherwise the car will feel very sluggish around town. A converter is one of the best mods for an automatic, and will really make your car quicker. Your gas mileage will drop though.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Check this threat out( https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/219024-cam-only-dyno-thread.html ), it will give you an idea of what kinda power people are making with what cams. There are also a few people that could spec you out a custom cams just for your needs. From what I've seem it always works out really well for them.

edit: oh and get a torque converter first. My old roommate got one for his z28 and it made a huge difference.