Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does polishing the crank affect the balance of the rotating mass?

Old 09-28-2008, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does polishing the crank affect the balance of the rotating mass?

I had a bad clutch in the car that was out of balance and it prematurely wore out my main bearings. I have pulled the crank and was looking to install new main and rod bearing because some of the pieces where the main bearings failed passed through the rod bearings causing some scuffing. Before I put a new set of bearings I was looking to polish the crank. Will this affect my current balance on the motor? Also, what would happen if I just replace the bearings? There is no major scarring on the crank journeys. The motor has 47k miles on it.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Polishing should not effect any balancing issues as your not actually removing any material at all your merely smoothing the surface of it..However I dont know how big of grooves or spots you may be trying to take out either...As long as your consistent and do the entire surface and don't try to concentrate on just one spot I dont see it being a problem..I have done it to several cranks with very fine emery cloth...With no bad results so far...
Old 09-28-2008, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WYATT318MOPAR
Polishing should not effect any balancing issues as your not actually removing any material at all your merely smoothing the surface of it..However I dont know how big of grooves or spots you may be trying to take out either...As long as your consistent and do the entire surface and don't try to concentrate on just one spot I dont see it being a problem..I have done it to several cranks with very fine emery cloth...With no bad results so far...

I was planning on sending it to a machine shop to have them polish the journeys.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will definitely be just fine then...I thought your were just gonna clean it up with emery if it isn't scarred up and rough it will work just as well and save you some cash...got any pics of the journals on the crank??
Old 09-28-2008, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WYATT318MOPAR
You will definitely be just fine then...I thought your were just gonna clean it up with emery if it isn't scarred up and rough it will work just as well and save you some cash...got any pics of the journals on the crank??
The picture file is too large for me to post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does polishing the crank affect the balance of the rotating mass?