Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on timing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on timing?

I am in the process of putting my motor back together. I just need to know if what I did was OK. I made a mark when I pulled the timing chain, then I made sure the crank didn't move. After I put the new cam in I just put the timing chain back exactly where it was, will this be OK? Also do most people try to clean the pistons while the heads are off? I've got a layer of carbon on them, If I should clean them what is the best method?
Thanks
Jon
Old 09-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Question on timing?

When you pull the cam it is always best to line up the timing marks on the crank gear (12 o'clock) and the cam gear (6 o'clock). This makes it easier to reinstall the cam with absolute certainty that it is timed correctly. If you have already installed the cam and gears and still have the front cover off, rotate the crank until the dots line up as stated above to be sure its correct. If its not, you will surely break something.

Cleaning pistons is easy, just be careful you don't nick them with anything sharp. Put the piston to TDC and use Brake Cleaner and/or Gumout to soften the carbon and scrape it with a razor blade or small scraper. Use a vacuum to suck out all of the carbon pieces as you scrape to minimize the mess.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Question on timing?

since you have the heads off; clean the pistons with a razor blade and make sure your timing chain lines up both dots when #1 is at the top.

...use paper towels and silicone spray when cleaning ...do nto get any loose carbon in between the rings and pistons...