Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

didn't know where to put this thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default didn't know where to put this thread...

how can you tell how many miles are on a motor without taking it apart too much? I might be in the market for a used LS1 and don't want to get ripped off with a high mileage motor when I think i'm getting a low mileage motor...
Old 10-03-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also posted this is the newb forum and got good answers. how come no one in here can help...
Old 10-03-2008, 02:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, it is more of a "newbie" section question. But here goes! There is no great way to tell mileage without seeing the odometer of the vehicle it came from (and even then sadly isn't 100%). I've seen brand new engines we've built that did not use the correct break-in oil and break-in procedure look worse than engines with 100K+ miles. There really are just too many variables. If you can inspect it internally, look for wear on the bearings, cylinder walls, etc. Those will be signs of its condition (not mileage). Also check for signs of leaks all around the engine. Typically, well maintained vehicles and engines will not have leaks over extended periods of time.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when buying a new motor, mileage shouldnt be the only factor.

I rather have a 100k clean motor that can last another 100k than a 10k abuse motor that looks like it will only last another 10k.