Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused about heads ALL opinions welcome!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Confused about heads ALL opinions welcome!

OK who knows their $hit because all of these flows numbers and valve sizes and compression crap has me confused. I've read 3 separate 40+ response threads comparing Patriot vs PRC and I'm still not sure what fits my needs. I am running a full bolt on '00 TA. When installing heads I will also be putting a LS6 manifold on, and I am running a TR224 cam 114. Budget allows for $1400 max, so these 4 fit what I am willing to spend. I have no clue about the diff compression #'s or valve sizes mentioned in other threads can comeone enlighten me to what I should be trying to accomplish? This is not a track car, just a soon to be weekend cruiser that can kick *** when called upon! Choices are:

Texas Speed PRC 5.3
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=20

Texas Speed LS6 ported Stage 1
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=649&catid=20

Patriot LS6 ported
https://www.patriot-performance.com/...ome.php?cat=37
with the Patriot they list several diff assembled heads with diff valve sizes and cc #'s, thats where I get confused which size do I need?

or Patriot 5.3 ported again whats the diff between 5.3 ported and LS6 ported?
https://www.patriot-performance.com/...ome.php?cat=36

ANY help or tutorials on what all of these #s mean is appreciated...........
Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

morning bump
Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well look for mid flow numbers the most. That way you wont have a peak hp car but hp under the curve. I seen the prc stg 1.5 heads with the ms3 put down close to 480 I cant rember the numbers but prc heads are a good bdget head. Also patriot heads as well read in gm hightech about the na heads, Im boosted. But the 59cc heads will give you a bump i compression that will help in making power. Just look at the mid flow charts for the heads and go from there.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks anyone else?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some thing to think about:

Bigger ports, bigger valves = low port speed.
Lower port speed=less mid range.

Bigger margins can sometime get the end user with parts they don't need. Spending money going backwards isn't the best idea, unless you have too much cash.

Smaller Ports, normal valves = high port speed
High port speed = more low and mid range ( more under the curve )
Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Bigger margins can sometime get the end user with parts they don't need. Spending money going backwards isn't the best idea, unless you have too much cash.

Good stuff I'd like the power to be more under the curve not concerned with peak hp, I drive mostly in the 3000-5500 range
Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

It is a little more complicated than that.

To the OP: With that camshaft I;d consider the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L heads. Their smaller chamber will give a nice bump in compression which is great for power all across the powerband, and they have one of the smallest volume intake runners available from CNC ported 5.3L heads today!

Let us know if we can help with your combo!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 AM
9 Second Club

I would go with the prc or go with a patriot head. Both are good heads. But dont go backwards in your build. I do agree with that.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

I have the same cam as you but a 112 LSA. I went with the Patriot LS6s (specs in sig) and I couldn't be happier. I don't have numbers or times yet, but I do know the car is very very strong. I never looked into the 5.3L heads but they seem to have a lot going for them with our cams. I don't think you could go wrong with either set of heads.

I'm not a tech head when it comes to heads either, but I don't think you have to be to select a good set of heads. And don't get caught up in the whole "budget/ aftermarket" wars, it's mostly hype. The 5.3Ls or 243 castings will make some great power at a fair price, and in many cases make more power than the more expensive heads.

Bottom line, if I was you I would just call up Gunnar at Patriot, tell him what you want out of your car, and let him suggest what you need. The guy knows his stuff; he's great to deal with, and you'll be happy in the end. I'm sure TSP and others are great too, but I know what Patriot and Gunnar can deliver. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Waiting for a response from Gunnar, I have also dealt with Jon at Texas Speed. It's down to the 5.3 or Patriot LS6 ported.....anymore opinions???
Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Love my stage 2 LS6 patriots...........i have a 220/224 110 lsa cam from flowtech on the GTO, LOTS of torque.

Dynoed over 400 ft lbs on a Mustang dyno (will read less than a dynojet) and the seat of the pants dyno reads high as well

Nater

Search this Thread