Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Carnage: Anyone seen this before?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Carnage: Anyone seen this before?

So I installed a cam and noticed what I thought was valvetrain noise. After 30 miles with the new cam, I pulled the pan to install a roadrace baffle, and there was a piece of metal in it:

I figured out that it was the camshaft retainer plate by looking at pictures online. So I ordered the new plate and pulled the front of the engine apart. The cam sprocket wouldn't come off. I put some heat on it and after some massaging, finally got it off. This was hiding underneath...

Has anyone ever seen this before? I tightened everything to spec and this isn't my first cam install. WTF? Could a machine shop remove the buildup on the tip of the cam or am I better off getting a new one? Also, is it possible it could have messed up the cam bearings?

-Tony

Last edited by apex_7; 10-08-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what the **** lol def havn't seen that before.. lets get some engine builders in here
Old 10-08-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes I have seen a similar situation. Perhaps your cam walked a bit or it was at poor tolerances. VINCI (sponsor) in Florida has a kit to remedy that.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Wow! Never seen that before.... would really like to know most likely cause...... since I'm finishing mine up....
Old 10-09-2008, 05:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are some cams that aren't machined correctly and will bind on the retainer plate.

Also, the new retainer plate is not the same and requires special bolts. It will have countersunk holes for the bolts. Through my research, the bolt torque has changed as well. I believe it was reduced from 18 lb-ft to 11 lb-ft. Check the link below to read up on it. I would also double check the torque values based on the original usage of the plate, which is the Escalade. Would be interested to see if you also get the 11 lb-ft torque for this setup as when I got the plate GM had just made the switch and there were no torque recommendations.

Link to cam retainer plate information

Link to torque information:

Link to torque information
Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately looks like you need to teardown the entire engine, looks like a fair amount of metal came from that and most likely went through the engine. I would not reuse that cam or the timing set. Hopefully the damage is minor.