LS2 SS Trailblazer, mods? - LS1TECH



Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories

LS2 SS Trailblazer, mods?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
HottLS1Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Morris IL
Posts: 637
Default LS2 SS Trailblazer, mods?

Hey guys not sure where to post this since there is no section specific for this vehicle but i'll try here. I'm getting a 06-07 TBSS here shortly and want to know what the LS2 responds well too. I want to keep stock internals but would like to at least have it in the 11's on spray. Is this realistic? Will ne tne awd version so traction wont be a problem. Low 13's to mid 12's on motor would be nice. I've owned many LS1 fbodies does the LS2 respond just as well to mods?
HottLS1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
12 Second Club
 
JCattSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft Wayne
Posts: 59
Default

First thing I would do is a tune and RPM trans/converter. If you plan on spraying it at all you will need it the stock trans esp. in awd is the weak link. From there its pretty much like modding any other LS vehicle. All the bolt ons & trans/converter will get you square in the 12's with an awd. The 2wd is a good bit quicker but being in the midwest mines meant to drive all year.
JCattSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
HottLS1Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Morris IL
Posts: 637
Default

Thats the thing is it's gonna be my dd and have the 100k warranty i know a stall will void it, the spray if something happens can be easily removed, so whats the best i could get this thing doin on a stock converter and not voidiny my warranty? I figure like full exhaust with lt's will just void the exhaust system warrany right? Also how weak is the trans in these, I had hoped GM learned there lesson with how weak stock a4's are in the fbody and used somethin better in these. Are they 4L80's in them? And yes will be awd winter sucks here by chitown.
HottLS1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
On The Tree
iTrader: (2)
 
Zzzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 129
Default

4L70. You'll read about people having tranny problems. I personally know quite a few running with bolt on's / reduced TM without any issues.
Zzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
HottLS1Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Morris IL
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz View Post
4L70. You'll read about people having tranny problems. I personally know quite a few running with bolt on's / reduced TM without any issues.
TM? You mean reduced Timing for spray or Torque Managment?
HottLS1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
12 Second Club
 
JCattSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft Wayne
Posts: 59
Default

Simple bolt ons you should be OK but if you are going to spray an awd the trans is on borrowed time. I would suggest if you are worried about the warranty buy an extra ecm/tcm to swap out and keep the stock ones stock. 06 modules are a little more $$ but 07 & up are cheap and plentiful. Also 06 did not come with the 100k warranty but maybe you could get that from the dealer anyway. There is no real difference in the 06-09. Yes TM is torque management. I would be careful with headers and warranty work. Probably just do cai, catback & tune. With just a tune an awd should run higher 13's when its cooler out. Spray it with 100-150 you will be square in the 12's but like I said the trans is hit or miss there has be A LOT of them break with minimal mods especially awd's. Other than that rest of the drivetrain/motor is pretty stout. I bought mine new in april 06 and am very happy with it. Favorite vehicle I ever had but having a bunch of mustangs before you would expect that
JCattSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
11 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
HottLS1Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Morris IL
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCattSS View Post
Simple bolt ons you should be OK but if you are going to spray an awd the trans is on borrowed time. I would suggest if you are worried about the warranty buy an extra ecm/tcm to swap out and keep the stock ones stock. 06 modules are a little more $$ but 07 & up are cheap and plentiful. Also 06 did not come with the 100k warranty but maybe you could get that from the dealer anyway. There is no real difference in the 06-09. Yes TM is torque management. I would be careful with headers and warranty work. Probably just do cai, catback & tune. With just a tune an awd should run higher 13's when its cooler out. Spray it with 100-150 you will be square in the 12's but like I said the trans is hit or miss there has be A LOT of them break with minimal mods especially awd's. Other than that rest of the drivetrain/motor is pretty stout. I bought mine new in april 06 and am very happy with it. Favorite vehicle I ever had but having a bunch of mustangs before you would expect that
So your saying referring to the ecm best bet is just get a whole nother computer to swap in it if something goes wrong? Whats this "tcm"? And yeah all GM certified used vehicles come with a 4yr48K mile bumper to bumber and 6YR 100K pwr train warranty. One im lookin at is an 06 AWD 3SS pkg with 22K on the clock so should be good for a while. Thanks for the info on these, havin a hard time findin ppl around here that own em I just hope I'm not going to regret selling my Z and getting it, but I need a new dd and something a little more friendly for messin around on the street lol camaro has gotten too wild every time I get on it im doin 120+ lol I figure if I can get this tbss in the 12's at min it should be good enough to hold its oen aginst the common turbo ricer or mustang here and there haha Just on a side note what kind of econemy is realistic? I averaged 18-20 on the real time reader on the dash on the highway and anywhere from 12-16 in the city, but the average was like 13.6 when I first got in for the test drive before I reset it. Whats realistic for say crusin down the free way at 70??
HottLS1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
12 Second Club
 
JCattSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft Wayne
Posts: 59
Default

I would just get another set of modules, ecm (engine) and tcm (trans) have them tuned and keep the stock ones stock just in case.There is some debate whether the dealer can tell if the truck has been tuned and if so they can try to void your warranty. Supposedly even if it has been flashed back to stock they can tell. Real world with just a tune & catback I was getting better than the rated 14/17+ as long as I was good. Now with the mods I have in town maybe 10 and still 17+ on the highway at over 70. Right now is a good time to buy one the prices have gotten pretty reasonable and if gas stays cheap...
JCattSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:19 AM   #9
11 Second Club
iTrader: (8)
 
green28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NW IN
Posts: 1,730
Default

I see you're not too far down the road from me, JCattSS, maybe 2 hours. Have you driven your AWD in the snow, either stock or modded, and how does a SUV with all that power handle the midwest winters? I'm semi interested in getting one, but it would have to be an AWD version since myself or my wife would DD it.
green28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Juiced2000SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 1,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCattSS View Post
Now with the mods I have in town maybe 10
10? Ouch! LOL, I am getting right at 13.9 whenever I do the math. K&N, cat back, and a tune. I have to say, the TBSS is the worst vehicle I have ever owned as far as mpg goes but is sure is a blast to drive
Juiced2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
12 Second Club
 
JCattSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft Wayne
Posts: 59
Default

Juiced2000SS- You are just used to driving that camaro and you are pushing that poor TBSS too hard to keep up! Before the cam/converter it did fairly decent in town. But a 3400 stall and 900 rpm idle kinda kills it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green28 View Post
I see you're not too far down the road from me, JCattSS, maybe 2 hours. Have you driven your AWD in the snow, either stock or modded, and how does a SUV with all that power handle the midwest winters? I'm semi interested in getting one, but it would have to be an AWD version since myself or my wife would DD it.
I does great in the snow this will be my 3rd winter driving it. It has traction control and stablitrak which help out quite a bit. Turn them off and you can do killer doughnuts! I do run 17 inch snows mainly just to keep the stock rims nice. I got a converter, headers,cam etc. and there is no negative impact on winter driving.
JCattSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
EPP
FormerVendor
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 13,078
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottLS1Z View Post
Hey guys not sure where to post this since there is no section specific for this vehicle but i'll try here. I'm getting a 06-07 TBSS here shortly and want to know what the LS2 responds well too. I want to keep stock internals but would like to at least have it in the 11's on spray. Is this realistic? Will ne tne awd version so traction wont be a problem. Low 13's to mid 12's on motor would be nice. I've owned many LS1 fbodies does the LS2 respond just as well to mods?
Headers and a low restriction exhaust system make a heck of a difference with the LS2 engines.
EPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (3)
 
LSWONGTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ramstein AB, Germany
Posts: 574
Default

When I put on my kooks it was like night and day!!! I wouldn't be to concerned with the warranty unless you are prone to breaking stuff. So buy the TBSS then buy headers and a cai.
LSWONGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mod Questions TransAmcoupe98 Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech 1 03-02-2011 02:55 PM
Mods starting BS and then banning a member for ZERO reason. 1bdbrd User Support & Resources 6 11-11-2007 04:51 PM
What is the diff between ls1's and ls2's? nomorews6 Generation IV Internal Engine 11 12-12-2005 05:29 PM
Are sponsors really that arrogant..... SPANKY LS1 LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback 19 07-14-2005 01:34 PM
LT1s and Underdrive... LT1Factor LT1-LT4 Modifications 24 12-12-2004 04:16 PM


Tags
2004, 4l70, awd, brace, cheap, handles, ls, mod, mods, reset, snow, ss, sstrailblazer, strut, tcm, trailblazer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.