Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Powdercoated your LSx Engine Blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone Powdercoated your LSx Engine Blocks?

Howdy Gents:

I have an '06 LS2 with only 600 miles on it that's on an engine stand. My question is this: Has anyone powder coated thier existing blocks?

I know thermal mass is an issue (getting the entire block up to temperature) and thus you probably have to disassemble it first but I'm concerned what will happen if the block is elevated to ~400°F (powdercoating forums say it may take several hours to get it to temperature). Given that the engine is near new and I'm not looking to build a radical engine, I would just assume reassemble the bottom end, perhaps with new bearings. I know the blocks from GMPP are coated but they have to be final machined. In a perfect world you would powdercoat first, then machine, then assemble new, but what can I say... I'm cheap and I don't see any reason to install new parts.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Last edited by kaptainkw; 12-21-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Teching In

I think you may have more problems than just the coating process. I am from very old school so things may have changed. I have always been of the opinion that you are not suppose to even paint an aluminum engine part. The aluminum parts are designed to dissipate heat in a way to maintain proper shape and trueness. Placing a coat of anything on the part is akin to putting a blanket on it. Heat is now an issue while in use.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it was a cast iron block I'd say go for it, but you really don't want to powercoat any any aluminum part that has to dissipate heat.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leave it alone, dont powdercoat any part of the block/heads/oil pan/tranny or almost any major component thats aluminum like stated. You can powdercoat brackets and things of that nature but not parts that get real hot and eventually need to cool down. how bout polishing your block and heads??? That'll be fun to maintain
Old 12-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Teching In

I own a powdercoating buisness and I have never done one for that reason. Im gonna go with, If you let the person who is going to coat it you car concirned with heat dissipation they can always just put a coat for color on and not layer it up thick. They will also mask off any of the large areas that you will not see such as the bellhouse area. Making the powder slightly thinner will also take away from the durability a little bit.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Just anodize it.

just kidding.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Teching In

I'm wondering if a machine shop might have a better idea. My powder coat guy and I have spoke about this too.

What about a ceramic coating for heat dissipation?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Motorboater

ceramics are not for dissipation, they are for keeping the heat inside the substrate. ie--headers. ceramics are really not meant to be a topcoat, but rather an inside coat, that's how they work. for example if you coated a set of headers and didn't run it down the inside, eventually the outside ceramic would fail from all the heat pounding on it from inside the pipe. the ceramic coating on the inside of the tubes is what is really the functional portion, the outside is added protection and mostly for appearance.

as for the engine block, I haven't had any customer want to do one yet, no direct experience there.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Good to know. Thanks for your insight.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
If it was a cast iron block I'd say go for it, but you really don't want to powercoat any any aluminum part that has to dissipate heat.
come on guys!!! ..... aluminum blocks arent designed to dissipate heat, thats what the cooling system is for... the surface hes wanting to powdercoat is on the OUTSIDE of the waterjacket... it will make NO difference in cooling since the LS engine isnt aircooled!, by your logic 5.3 or 6.0 L iron block should overheat with a coolingsystem from an ls1,2 or 3....

ive seen plenty of people painting and coating alloyblocks, you will eb fine.. just be sure to clean and scuff the entire block (dry ice blasting it prior to coating would propably do wonders for adheasion)
Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Launching!

could you paint the block with brake caliper type paint for high heat without adverse side affects?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

the outside of the block wont get hotter than boiling water... ever! so any engine paint, quality automotive paint... BC/CC or SS will be just fine... just get the surface clean first!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deuce_454
come on guys!!! ..... aluminum blocks arent designed to dissipate heat, thats what the cooling system is for... the surface hes wanting to powdercoat is on the OUTSIDE of the waterjacket... it will make NO difference in cooling since the LS engine isnt aircooled!, by your logic 5.3 or 6.0 L iron block should overheat with a coolingsystem from an ls1,2 or 3....

ive seen plenty of people painting and coating alloyblocks, you will eb fine.. just be sure to clean and scuff the entire block (dry ice blasting it prior to coating would propably do wonders for adheasion)

My sentiments exactly but I was afraid to say it! Last I checked these things are water cooled and with a properly sized radiator and airflow across it I don't see a problem. The amount of radiant heat "trapped" by the emmissive surface just translates to more load on the radiator.

Quick Reply: Anyone Powdercoated your LSx Engine Blocks?