Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on knock sensors on my LSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice on knock sensors on my LSX

I've got the LS2 valley cover, so i have to run external knock sensors on my LSX engine. i've got two LS1 style sensors and the Casper's adapter harness for the cam sensor and knock sensors.

Now, my problem: From what i understand, there should be a knock sensor on each side of the motor. I can't do that with mine. My headers come too close to the driver's side of the engine where the only 2 holes a sensor would fit in are located.

On the passenger's side, there's one hole that seems to be intended for a knock sensor, and then there are the 4 holes for the A/C bracket that i will not be using. Will it be ok to run a knock sensor in one of those holes like pictured below, or do i need to do something different?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

well guys, believe it or not, the search function on this site is actually useful

I guess what i need to do is drill out and tap a hole on either side of the engine from the LS2 size to LS1 size and hammer down....

BUT just for kicks and giggles, would what i have pictured above work? i mean, yeah it would probably "work", but would it be ok to do that?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

If you don't mind would you send me the link on this. I am building an LSX 427 for the GTO and I was wondering the same thing about the knock sensors and what else is going to throw me off when I go to install it .... Did you use the LS2 style front cover or will the ls1 cover work??? Any info would help greatly
Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by plumcrazy1
If you don't mind would you send me the link on this. I am building an LSX 427 for the GTO and I was wondering the same thing about the knock sensors and what else is going to throw me off when I go to install it .... Did you use the LS2 style front cover or will the ls1 cover work??? Any info would help greatly
there should be a lot of info on this stuff on this site, but yes you'll need LS2 furniture on you LSX block-equipped engine...ASSUMING it's going in a vehicle that originally came with a LS1. You'll need LS2 front cover with cam sensor, Drill out the threads in the knock sensor holes with a 8.5mm bit and tap with a M10x1.5 bottom tap to install LS1 knock sensors in the LS2 location. You'll need the adapter harness from Caspers/Racetronix for the cam sensor and knock sensors. A LS2 valley cover should be about the only other part you'll need IIRC. you'll just have to search around, or go to my build thread and see what all i have in case i'm forgetting something...

All of your other LS1 accessories and attachments will/should bolt right up to the LSX block and drop right in. The LSX block has its own specific rear cover.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:51 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the info. I have been watching your build and wish mine was that far along, but nothing about doing this so far has been fast and for what it cost that isn't really a bad thing lets me catch back up. I should get my motor the end of this month or beginning of the next.. Thanks again for your help....

Quick Reply: Need advice on knock sensors on my LSX