Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the LS9/LSA crank the same design as the LS1 crank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is the LS9/LSA crank the same design as the LS1 crank?

Will a forged LS9/LSA crank swap into an LS1 engine to replace the cast LS1 crank?

Are the LS9 and LS1 valley covers the same? How about the oil pumps?

-Dave
Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS9 uses a different bolt pattern for the flywheel on the back end.
The LS9 crank is also setup for dry sump operation meaning it has the same long snout as the LS7 does for the longer dry sump oil pump.

the GEN IV car valley covers are not the same as the gen III. they do not have locations for the knock sensor holes as they are located on the side of the engine. the blocks do not even have locations for the knock sensor bosses in the middle of the valley anymore
Old 08-26-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info...

I typed valley cover, but meant front engine cover/timing chain cover...

What I'm getting at is... what would you need to do to put an LSA crank pulley/balancer on an LS1 engine (with an LS1 crank), while still having the accessory belt and the A/C belt line up line up with the respective accessories? It looks to me like the LSA engine has the accessories in the same place as the 2007 CTS-V...

So if you had a 2007 CTS-V (6.0L LS2, right?), how much stuff would you have to change to install an LSA crank pulley and have it properly run all of the accessories?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the front cover used is the LS7 style. it is alot diff than an LS2 style being that it has to fit the larger pump inside of it. the cts-v (ls2) uses the same pulley as the vette in the part number aspect and accy offset from the engine.

the LSA uses the same front cover as the LS2 tho. you are really talking about 2 diff engines. the lsa is a wet sump engine. the LS9 is a dry sump. the LS9 uses more flywheel bolts (9) where as the LSA uses the standard 6.

but since the accy are routed different and the water pump is diff, it would take more investigating to present fact to what you are saying. in theory it could work, but there is really one one way to find out.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks a lot for the info John. I didn't realize the LSA was a wet-sump engine - that makes things a lot easier.

You can probably see where I am going with this. I am trying to feel out how practical it would be to drive an LSA supercharger installed on an LS2 engine... or maybe even an LS1 with the right heads.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
the front cover used is the LS7 style. it is alot diff than an LS2 style being that it has to fit the larger pump inside of it. the cts-v (ls2) uses the same pulley as the vette in the part number aspect and accy offset from the engine.

the LSA uses the same front cover as the LS2 tho. you are really talking about 2 diff engines. the lsa is a wet sump engine. the LS9 is a dry sump. the LS9 uses more flywheel bolts (9) where as the LSA uses the standard 6.

but since the accy are routed different and the water pump is diff, it would take more investigating to present fact to what you are saying. in theory it could work, but there is really one one way to find out.
is the lsa crank forged or made from same material used in conventional ls cranks? what about the lsa rods, pistons? full floating, forged?
part numbers for all?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well there is no "ls1" with the right heads because up until now, gm has still not released the small bore L92 heads. unless you look at sleeving i guess.

the LSA uses forged steel crank, PM cracked rods, hyper-e pistons.

of course all of this info can be found at gmpp.com. its not a huge mystery. the pns would not do much good because they are fairly expensive. the price looks to be about $700-800. 58X of course.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, a small bore L92 head for one of the 5.3 engines would be ideal. Some sort of adatper/lower manifold plate that mates the supercharger to the heads would work too, but that would be a lot of trouble.

well there is no "ls1" with the right heads because up until now, gm has still not released the small bore L92 heads. unless you look at sleeving i guess.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

easily used on the 6.0 blocks. The only problem being that there may not be enough room to fit the cam sensor on the back of the LS1 style engine as the s/c is a large unit. also possible problems with routing the knock sensor wiring harness.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

easily used on the 6.0 blocks. The only problem being that there may not be enough room to fit the cam sensor on the back of the LS1 style engine as the s/c is a large unit. also possible problems with routing the knock sensor wiring harness.
is the lsa crank a gmpp item? do u know what its rated at? material make?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

forged steel. thats all gm has at this moment. its a GM number. meaning being a reg production crank, its not only just a GMPP #. It is part of the GMPP LSA complete crate engine though. So it is both a gm number and a gmpp number.

its rated at at least 556 HP....lol
Old 08-26-2009, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the LS9 uses more flywheel bolts (9) where as the LSA uses the standard 6
The LSA as well as the LSX line of crankshafts use an 8 Bolt flywheel or flexplate.

And they are not available at this time.

The LSA Crate engines are available.

Robin
Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

imo gm should sell the cranks for lower priced than the some of the junk the aftermarket puts out. i for one only use gm cranks in my own builds.
i would prefer to use gm forged parts in my motors, than the eagle and such.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm, I never thought about the cam sensor on the rear of the block. After you mentioned it, I looked at a picture of the supercharger unit and it looks like the rear of the unit is largely sectioned out. I wonder if this would provide enough clearance for the cam sensor?

Check out this picture:

Does the gear drive fill that missing section, or does it sit inside the chasis? Even the intercooler is sectioned out as well:

Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robin L
The LSA as well as the LSX line of crankshafts use an 8 Bolt flywheel or flexplate.

And they are not available at this time.

The LSA Crate engines are available.

Robin
well i guess my parts lookup is wrong then because i only show 6....i hope it is because that would make more sense

Quick Reply: Is the LS9/LSA crank the same design as the LS1 crank?