Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with my crank balancer

Old 11-24-2009, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with my crank balancer

I have a 408 iron block from texas speed with a callies crank. The crank has a key way. My stock balancer does not have the notch in it for the key way. I have been told that somewhere around 2006 - up crank balancers started being made from the factory to accept a keyway. Does anyone know where I can get one that isn't rediculously over priced? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

For the money, you might as well get an aftermarket balancer, either underdrive or stock diameter.

As far as stock balancers having a keyway, I know nothing of that change and have not seen one like that at all regardless of the year

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 11-24-2009, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Jesse said, you might as well go ahead and get one of the aftermarket balancers...they are all keyed unlike the OEM balancers. We stock the Powerbond and TCI at competitive prices, and can get you into ATI which are the top of the line (and a bit more pricey).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Well I found a picture of a stock balancer with the key way slot but it's on ebay and the seller said they can't guarantee that the one pictured is the exact one for sale. So I don't know, I've been hearing mixed information.
Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110458235923&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

To the best of my knowledge, there is not a GM balancer that will keep the alignment for your accessories correct AND is cut for an aftermarket keyway straight from GM.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 11-24-2009, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

never seen a factory keyed balancer, i have had them off most lsx cars and truck engines all the way up to 2010
Old 11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Screw it, I gave in and called up Texas Speed. Thanks Matt for the Powerbond/TCI under drive pulley.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Anytime, Ray

Old 11-24-2009, 06:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could always just pop the key out of the crank but I would highly suggest a aftermarket balancer like you got.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issues with my crank balancer