Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what size carb for an LS2 road race car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size carb for an LS2 road race car?

I'm building up a '06 Corvette LS2 for my Panoz road race track car and need a little advice on carb size. Acceleration off the turns is the most important feature, of course top end power is also needed, but pulling off the turns is most important. The motor is a stock '06 Corvette, running a TR3550 5 speed and a car weight of 2500lbs.
Any help?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

how high are you going to spin it?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Default Carb

I'm new to LS engines but was thinking a red line of 6500rpm. We run 30 minute races so didn't want to beat the engine too much. We do 4, 30 minutes races a day, so looking for durability so I dont have to do anything between races on a day but put gas in it.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its so easy to wire in fuel injection its not funny. But Im sure you have been told that many times before. Seriously, 5 wires and a high pressure fuel pump, and bam, done!

I know that car is built around a carbed 351, so I would suggest a min of 600cfm, and more like a 750. Its been atleast 10 years since I have had to mess with a carb. Back in the day, we used Braswell 830s, and they supported well over 550 rwhp.

Louis
Old 12-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default CArb

I would like to run fuel injection, I have a LS2 stock intake but need MAF, throttle body, computer and whatever sensors and wires that are required, so how would I make sure they all work together and that it dosen't turn in to a nightmare? Plus if the throttle body is fly by wire an elictronic gas peddal. I would really like the ease of a good running fuel injection system,, but a little reluctant as I have never tried to piece one together from scratch. Can you make it REAL simple for me?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year LS2 engine? Seriously, its 5 wires to make it run, plus running all of your sensors and drive by wire harness/pedal.

I have a multitude of harness stuff to make it very very simple, with a tune/calibration already the computer. All you have to do is install it and hit the key.

What series, and what tracks?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

There are 90mm TB's that are cable driven. If you don't have one now, and needed to buy one anyways, just get one fo those to keep from having to use the drive-by-wire system. You can also buy stand-alone wiring harnesses.

If you are going carbureted, I would think a 750cfm would be your best bet.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

GMPP makes their own stand alone packages. sensors, computer, harness MAF... all that **** for the LS3, so im guessing they offer it for an LS2 as well? try scoggins?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

OK, you guys make a great case for going fuel injection, I guess I'm just to old school, so I need to stand up and get smart on FI. I have both an LS2 stock inlet and a Vic Jr intake set up for FI. I'm guessing the stock one would be an easier one to set up for a first timer like me. I can always sell the Vic jr on the forum. I got an engine only FI wiring harness from the forum so I need to look at it and see what i'm missing. I really want to do the FI set up because it should make running the track events so much easier.
As for the track events, I run with NASA, FAST, HOD and a few other groups. We run at Sebring (using the 12 hour road race course), Miami-Homestead(using the front and back NASCAR straight away and the road course in the infield), Moroso Speedway(now called Palm Beach International Speedway) and last week we did Daytona (using the road race course which used NASCAR 1, 2 and the back straight away, the bus stop, NASACR 3,4 and in to the infield just after the tri-oval) that was a trip. We run 4, 30 minutes events, flat out, just no passing in the turns (keeps the bent sheet metal to a min). If you haven't done a road race track event you should give it a try.
Anyway, I'll start setting up for FI and see what I learn, I hope you guys don't mind me asking real dumb questions as I try and make it work.
Thanks for pushing me over the edge.

Quick Reply: what size carb for an LS2 road race car?