Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

200 miles on new exhaust, smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 200 miles on new exhaust, smoke?

just put longtubes and ory on the car and drove it like that for a while, bought powersticks from classic chambered, one for the mid pipe and two for the back, similar to gmmg... when i put the mufflers on i put new denso oxygen sensors in.. only codes are slow 02s and thats only when im at a redlight...

it didnt smoke at all before the mufflers, now its a very strong smell, burns my eyes when i smell it, i realize there is alot of gas in my exhaust because of my large cam, but is this normal? should i be worried that ive broken something? car was dyno tuned at vengence with stock manifolds and crappy exhaust, now i have a free flowing exhaust but it still runs pretty good so i havent retuned yet...
Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you go from cats to no cats ? maybe that has something to do with it ?....if it got tuned with choked exhaust and now it has freeflowing maybe your tune is off...what color is the smoke ?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

is the smoke white or black?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

white but it might be blue, ive noticed it but passed it off, last night i got out while the car was running, but it was dark, oh and it seems to only be coming from the passenger side, which is weird wouldnt it come from both sides since both banks share a single i-pipe?

(my passenger side pipe uses about 3.5 more feet more tubing than drivers side, because of how its ran, if it matters)
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

I've heard of some LTs somehow burning excess oil, but noone has a good explination as to why this occurs. The two seem unrelated, yet it's happened before to others.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

if it kinda has a blue color to it i'd suspect valve stem seals. opening up your exhaust the way you have will make leaky valve stem seals more apparent. where as the previous exhaust would have made it much less noticeable. I also agree with the tune thoery. now that you have things flowing better you might be running a bit too rich.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hope its not my valve seals, whole motor has like 4000 miles with roller rockers, plus im not using oil, atleast not enough for me to notice, and its not blue at startup, which would be my biggest sign for that problem im sure...
Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Teching In

I'll definitely agree with the oil issue..

Quick Reply: 200 miles on new exhaust, smoke?