Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 alternator

Hi all
I am fitting a LS3 into a defender using the GM harness but I do not know how to connect the alternator to the battery warning light on the dash. There is nothing in the bulkhead connector and the alternator just has one wire comming out of it that goes back to the ECU plus the big one that goes to the battery. Could anyone please help?

Cheers Rob
Old 04-21-2016, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Wiring/Part2/
Old 04-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Thanks but my problem is not how the system works but the physical connection. The alternator has one electrical plug on the back that is used by the GM ECU so I have nowhere to connect the feed for the dash light. The bulkhead plug has no output for the dash light. I am useing the GM loom that comes with the crate engine.
Cheers Rob
Old 04-24-2016, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6 pot
Thanks but my problem is not how the system works but the physical connection. The alternator has one electrical plug on the back that is used by the GM ECU so I have nowhere to connect the feed for the dash light. The bulkhead plug has no output for the dash light. I am useing the GM loom that comes with the crate engine.
Cheers Rob
Rob,

It would be helpful to know what vehicle you're working on.

Andrew
Old 04-24-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Rob,

It would be helpful to know what vehicle you're working on.

Andrew
It's in his first post, It's going into a Land Rover Defender.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Teching In

I am fitting the engine into a Land Rover Defender. The Land Rover loom has a wire that comes from the alternator to the dash but with the GM loom it is all self contained there is no way to tap into the alternator that I can find
Cheers Rob
Old 04-24-2016, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am fitting the engine into a Land Rover Defender. The Land Rover loom has a wire that comes from the alternator to the dash but with the GM loom it is all self contained there is no way to tap into the alternator that I can find
Cheers Rob
Rob,

What does the stock wire that went to the alternator do? The GM ECU harness does not need the connection to the alternator. It's strictly there to "excite" the alternator.

I see no reason why you can't run the stock alternator wire to the L pin on the alternator, provided you double check what that wire actually does.

Andrew
Old 04-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Andrew
The stock wire does exactly what is described in the above link ie it is the exciter. The GM alternator must work in the normal way but how do I connect into it.

cheers Rob
Old 04-24-2016, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Andrew
The stock wire does exactly what is described in the above link ie it is the exciter. The GM alternator must work in the normal way but how do I connect into it.

cheers Rob
If you want down and dirty, cut the wire from the GM harness and attach the wire from the Defender to the alternator. Tape off the lead from the ECU.

If you want to get fancy, the alternator plug uses Metripack series 150 terminals. Get a terminal, attach it to the wire from the defender and insert it into the alternator connector into the L location. You should also add a wire to the S terminal on the alternator and wire that to your main power distribution point.

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 04-24-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks Andrew
Things never work how they should. There are 3 terminals in the connector with only one used which one ? Yep L location back to the ECU so is it still safe to cut this wire?
Cheers Rob
Old 04-26-2016, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Andrew
Things never work how they should. There are 3 terminals in the connector with only one used which one ? Yep L location back to the ECU so is it still safe to cut this wire?
Cheers Rob
The alternator plug should have 4 cavities. Refer back to the link to understand which is the L and which is the S terminal.

If things are as you said, I see no issue eliminating the L terminal from the ECU and using the alternator connection from your car harness. Just tape off the wire off the ECU because it'll be hot when the engine is running.

Andrew

Quick Reply: LS3 alternator