Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Generation IV External Engine
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Generation IV External Engine
LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default LS3 pcv routing input (diagram)

Ok so Im running an LS3 bottom end with AFR 225s, FAST 102, yada yada yada. The valley cover on the car is one without the barb almost like an LS1 valley cover. Im doing all the pcv in AN fittings and braided line. Heres a diagram on how I plan to run it.......



The red part is going to be an earls 1/3 psi check valve going to a catch can.

What do you guys think? I havent messed much with the ls3 stuff so Im looking for some input.

Last edited by JetVette; 07-08-2010 at 12:41 AM..
JetVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
cam
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,352
Default

I know L92's come with the boss on the valley cover for the PCV valve like the LS3's do but its not drilled and theres no nipple. Maybe your bottom end is an L92 rather than an LS3? They are the same internals aside from the L92 being a VVT engine vs the LS3 which is not. Easy to convert over as well. Im unsure of what the earls check valve does but I'd be worried about excessive oil consumption with the PCV system you've drawn out like stock LS1's had big issues with PCV routing. Might be just as well to source out a true LS3 valley cover with the baffle and nipple and go with that.
__________________
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
I know L92's come with the boss on the valley cover for the PCV valve like the LS3's do but its not drilled and theres no nipple. Maybe your bottom end is an L92 rather than an LS3? They are the same internals aside from the L92 being a VVT engine vs the LS3 which is not. Easy to convert over as well. Im unsure of what the earls check valve does but I'd be worried about excessive oil consumption with the PCV system you've drawn out like stock LS1's had big issues with PCV routing. Might be just as well to source out a true LS3 valley cover with the baffle and nipple and go with that.
yea my bad it is actually an L92 bottom end. do you know how the valley cover compares to the LS1? Do you see a problem with the way I have the pcv ran?
JetVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
On The Tree
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 124
Default

I have this same issue. I am just trying to mimic the 2010 camaro LS3 set up as close as possible.
68Problemchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Irish350's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix/Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,975
Default

this is a few threads down:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...ls3-motor.html

That looks right IMO, the routing, check valve (unsure of pressure, but placement is good). Only thing id wait on, as said, the valley cover outlet might be a better option than the VC one, but im just not sure.

any info on how youre doing/where youre getting all your AN stuff? Im thinking about doing it for my pcv/oil accumulator/fuel but its raising the $ quite a bit.
__________________
Sean

402" ls2/3
Irish350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish350 View Post
this is a few threads down:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...ls3-motor.html

That looks right IMO, the routing, check valve (unsure of pressure, but placement is good). Only thing id wait on, as said, the valley cover outlet might be a better option than the VC one, but im just not sure.

any info on how youre doing/where youre getting all your AN stuff? Im thinking about doing it for my pcv/oil accumulator/fuel but its raising the $ quite a bit.
Ok cool. I have an L92 valley cover that has no provision, its just a boss. I think Ill end up getting the LS2/LS3 valley cover that has the built in restrictor and just not run an external pcv/check valve. The only reason I was gonna run a check valve is because they dont really make an AN style pcv valve. I also live in tempe and buy all my stuff from Parker Hose on Broadway west of the I-10. I think Ive also worked on your car before when it was Daniels.
JetVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
9 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
tektrans's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 23
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,378
Default

If the valley cover has no provision and is blocked off you really don't need it since venting the highest point on the motor (valve covers) is the best way to vent it.
If you're doing it for emmisions purposes that's another story.
__________________

'98 Trans Am WS6 Cartek N/A (L92/LS7) Hydraulic roller 441 ci.
9.59 @ 138 1.30 60' - Best 60' 1.29 (new setup in the works)
video of 9.6x passes http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdBZk5Y3s4
**check out my TA in the Aug '09 issue of GMHTP magazine**
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ws6/index.html
tektrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
cam
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektrans View Post
If the valley cover has no provision and is blocked off you really don't need it since venting the highest point on the motor (valve covers) is the best way to vent it.
If you're doing it for emmisions purposes that's another story.
Agreed but the LS1's PCV routing is off the valve cover and they dragged up oil up like a kid drinkin a milkshake through a straw!

Im also running an L92 but sadly Im still a bit far from figuring out my PCV so I dont really have much good input for you guys yet. If I have time today I'll take a gander at the stock L92 system and see whats what. I have a complete drop out from an 07 escalade
__________________
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Irish350's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix/Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetVette View Post
Ok cool. I have an L92 valley cover that has no provision, its just a boss. I think Ill end up getting the LS2/LS3 valley cover that has the built in restrictor and just not run an external pcv/check valve. The only reason I was gonna run a check valve is because they dont really make an AN style pcv valve. I also live in tempe and buy all my stuff from Parker Hose on Broadway west of the I-10. I think Ive also worked on your car before when it was Daniels.
Holy ****, small world.

Let me know what you end up doing for this (im a copycat)
__________________
Sean

402" ls2/3
Irish350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish350 View Post
Holy ****, small world.

Let me know what you end up doing for this (im a copycat)
I ordered an LS3 valley cover. Itll be a couple weeks probly before the cars finished since Im still waiting on parts and also need an engine harness, coil packs, etc.
JetVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: illinois
Posts: 388
Default

good luck with that set up...your gonna suck so much oil into the TB. I had to try 40000 different set ups with my LS3. I ran the drivers side valve cover to the pass side valve in the port in the back. I plugged the front valve cover port. I then ran the valley cover port to the catch can mounted about 2 feet away, then the TB to the catch can. I used bid heater hose to keep the velocity of the air down
__________________
Illinois
2002 corvette coupe
LS3 416
10.9@128.8
1.56 60'
VGLNTE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1 View Post
good luck with that set up...your gonna suck so much oil into the TB. I had to try 40000 different set ups with my LS3. I ran the drivers side valve cover to the pass side valve in the port in the back. I plugged the front valve cover port. I then ran the valley cover port to the catch can mounted about 2 feet away, then the TB to the catch can. I used bid heater hose to keep the velocity of the air down
why would u run the tb to the catch can? Thats the clean side.
JetVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
9 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
tektrans's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 23
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
Agreed but the LS1's PCV routing is off the valve cover and they dragged up oil up like a kid drinkin a milkshake through a straw!

Im also running an L92 but sadly Im still a bit far from figuring out my PCV so I dont really have much good input for you guys yet. If I have time today I'll take a gander at the stock L92 system and see whats what. I have a complete drop out from an 07 escalade
Pulling that oil for a reason no? Coming out with pressure, that's what the catch can is for.
__________________

'98 Trans Am WS6 Cartek N/A (L92/LS7) Hydraulic roller 441 ci.
9.59 @ 138 1.30 60' - Best 60' 1.29 (new setup in the works)
video of 9.6x passes http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdBZk5Y3s4
**check out my TA in the Aug '09 issue of GMHTP magazine**
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ws6/index.html
tektrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
cam
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetVette View Post
I ordered an LS3 valley cover. Itll be a couple weeks probly before the cars finished since Im still waiting on parts and also need an engine harness, coil packs, etc.
How much and where did you find it?



Quote:
good luck with that set up...your gonna suck so much oil into the TB. I had to try 40000 different set ups with my LS3. I ran the drivers side valve cover to the pass side valve in the port in the back. I plugged the front valve cover port. I then ran the valley cover port to the catch can mounted about 2 feet away, then the TB to the catch can. I used bid heater hose to keep the velocity of the air down
Any pics of your final set up? Or maybe just a description of your routing and how you made it work well? Would be appreciated by many Im sure
__________________
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
How much and where did you find it?





Any pics of your final set up? Or maybe just a description of your routing and how you made it work well? Would be appreciated by many Im sure

ebay. SLP was selling 2 I believe and they were like $29 plus shipping.
JetVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #16
AVB
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now
 
AVB's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 215
Default

Doesn't the stock pcv only allow a small amount air to pass thru? If replaced with a checkvalve doesn't that let allow unrestricted air in? Along with pressure from blow-by, that's worse then a vacuum leak... and we know how much that screws with a tune. Along with a checkvalve I use the stock pcv.

Another thing to watch is during times of excessive crankcase pressure (high rpm/load) there's less vacuum to pull at the manifold. Even if there were and depending on the amount of blowby, the metered air being pulled into the manifold will not always be enough to prevent positive pressure at the crankcase. I thought I had an oil leak which showed up as stains on my oil pan until I put another line in place which allowed pressure to escape when the crankcase showed positive.
AVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #17
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default

Ill be running a speed density tune as well. I will no longer be running a check valve because I ended up ordering an LS3 valley cover.
JetVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:20 AM   #18
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Irish350's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix/Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,975
Default

Something i stumbled across today. Doesnt give all the info were looking for, but theres some good general stuff about pcv/catch cans

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...outing-ok.html
__________________
Sean

402" ls2/3
Irish350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #19
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish350 View Post
Something i stumbled across today. Doesnt give all the info were looking for, but theres some good general stuff about pcv/catch cans

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...outing-ok.html
yea Ive seen that thread.....some good info in there. I think I was just trying to overcomplicate it. Ill just set it up how I always have. They've seemed to work well.
JetVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #20
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
Irish350's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 14
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix/Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,975
Default

i think im gonna end up running one of those saikou michi dual ls1 setups. I always babied my car and never downshifted/rev matched cause of the pulsation and consumption it caused. This should fix that on both sides.
__________________
Sean

402" ls2/3
Irish350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
catch, chevy, covers, diagram, escalade, intake, line, ls1, ls3, motor, oi, pcv, pvc, routing, system, tube, valve


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details