Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do people get away with Long Tubes?

Old 11-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do people get away with Long Tubes?

I live in Ontario, Canada. We are required to have a visual inspection along with an E-test. My question is how do most people get away with running long tubes on their cars and can anyone give me any advice for getting away with them. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The universal way/least expensive way(if you do it yourself) is to put the factory stuff back on for the inspection, then afterwards put the LT's back on.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Your not going to get away with it, not in Ontario and the rest of the provinces are coming soon, got to have cats too. Sucks. You would think we were in California or something.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Do you think I could get away with mid tubes?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If its visual then your cats have to be at the same spot were the originals were so mids or long tubes will push them back and shorties probably not worth it. Atleast thats how it is here in cali is what i was told by a police officer and smog guy, im not an expert on the specifics. Im sure someone will give better advice.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The universal way/least expensive way(if you do it yourself) is to put the factory stuff back on for the inspection, then afterwards put the LT's back on.
^^ that seems like the only logical answer too me, I'm not sure what answer the OP was looking.... I guess an extremely unpractical solution would be to move, moving to the great state of Ohio for example, would work, we don't have any type of inspections (I think just Cleveland does). The only thing I worry about is getting pulled over for my exhaust being to loud, and then they may check for cats. I've considered throwing some fake cats on just in case, but honestly, I rarely drive my car in Ohio, one of the great perks of being active duty is that I get to keep my Ohio plates know matter what state I live in. I spent 6 years in California, and didn't have to worry about a thing because i had Ohio plates. I really fell sorry for you guys that have to pass visual inspections, and I fell REALLY sorry for those of you who have to pass emissions, I would cry, LOL.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stangslayerLT1
My question is how do most people get away with running long tubes on their cars .
Probably because most of us either dont have to pass emissions in our states or know the people that do the inspection. Where I live were suppose to have a visual inspection, but in the smaller towns most inspectors will let you go if they know you or like your car, lol.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've taken mine into emissions testing every 2 years with no hassles. Most places just check for the standard fare, is the EGR still there, air tubes, cats exist etc. Most could care less as long as its a standard fare emissions place. Just make sure your tune is good for a pass though else it'll be a headache.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As mentioned, most places do not do any sort of visual or sniffer test. Just a scan of the OBDII port for codes/readiness and that's it.

Now in most places, even a visual check will pass if there are any sort of cats on.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard in 2013 all there gonna do is hook up to your port while your car is running and if all is well you passed your smog here in cali from a smog tech guy, but not sure.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

I just got busted on inspection about 6 months ago for no cats
after I was running this way for 6yrs. So yes I skated by for awhile but
all it takes is one smart guy to look under your car and busted. Bottom
line is we don't all get away with it.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john shea
I just got busted on inspection about 6 months ago for no cats
after I was running this way for 6yrs. So yes I skated by for awhile but
all it takes is one smart guy to look under your car and busted. Bottom
line is we don't all get away with it.
You could always run those dummy resonators in place of the cats. They would pass visual and not cost you HP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do people get away with Long Tubes?