Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mamo ported 102 vs Veng. Racing ported 102?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5w20
Find someone who is willing to ship their vengeance ported intake to a third party or maybe vengeance will prove their point and send one of theirs.
We have nothing to prove. We posted our ported Vs non ported #s over a year ago with back to back comparisons. Our pricing is inline with the additional power and the work performed.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
We have nothing to prove. We posted our ported Vs non ported #s over a year ago with back to back comparisons. Our pricing is inline with the additional power and the work performed.
You said that the extra porting doesn't gain anything, I'm sure others would like to see that proven and put an end to the debate.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Not a Mamo vrs. Vengence comparison but it might help ya out a little...https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...e-results.html
Old 01-26-2012, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Can you post a link? I can't seem to find it in the dyno section. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Mamo ported my Fast 102 to match my A.I heads and after taking it apart the runners were ported and matched up very well with the heads. I've never seen vengeance's work but I can tell you if you went with Mamo it would be money very well spent.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
They don't even compare. I've personally seen both and the vengeance looks like someone took a sanding roll for 5 minutes to the runners. Sommer86 measured the ported difference and Vengeance took .001 of an inch out of the runners. Mamo takes a giant pile of plastic out, he posted a pic of it. Is go with him all day
Those pics iirc were from a 90 or 92mm intake NOT a 102. All you can really do is match the intake to the heads. Sorry not bashing anyone at all both vendors have my utmost respect.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by litle88
Those pics iirc were from a 90 or 92mm intake NOT a 102. All you can really do is match the intake to the heads. Sorry not bashing anyone at all both vendors have my utmost respect.
I can understand how some might feel that way....but there is much more invested than meets the casual observer's eye I assure you.

No one has the level of R&D I have invested in these manifolds....no one. I pioneered this exercise back in 2004, have spent countless hours since then improving my craft....searching and finding "more", and recently spent an additional 60-80 hours of heavy development work on the flowbench that unlocked some new gains I now include on all my customer ported intakes.

Truth be told, this latest round of testing was primarily driven for personal reasons wanting to push my own 454 LS combo even further with the next round of dyno testing I have planned in February (the engine pictured in my avatar), but in the end, everyone benefits from the additional work I invested and trust me when I tell you this type of work can be frustrating, exhausting, and it takes an enormous amount of dedication and patience. Learning what I did recently it takes me even longer to port a manifold but I didn't raise my pricing....just added more value to the customers that opt to deal with me.

This thread is old but it shows how much plastic used to come out of a 102 intake.....if you've purchased a manifold from me since last September or so you have my latest port designs which have considerably more material removed in key areas.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-102-fast.html

Bottom line, having a choice of vendors is always a good thing (no matter what your shopping for) but if you want the most from your FAST and your willing to pay for the extra R&D time invested, proven results, and an incredibly neat and detailed execution of the work I'm your man.....

I would also like to add that at any point in time I could decide to do half the work, charge half the price, and quite honestly 99% of the customers would still be thrilled when they removed that manifold from the box but it's just not what I'm about....it's not what I represent or what am trying to build....for me its utmost quality over quantity in spite of the sales I may lose from that business model.

Whether I'm porting a set of heads.....porting a manifold, or building a detailed optimized engine combination....I take the same approach to everything I do as it relates to this hobby (and most other things in life I'm passionate about). At the risk of stating the obvious, I design cylinder heads and intake manifolds for a living....my background offers me a bit of an "edge" shall we say, and when I'm not doing that I'm usually building an engine or doing something related directly to this industry.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. The last thing I would like to add is I really appreciate all the folks that truly understand what I'm about and have done business with me in the past....hopefully we can continue to work together in the future as well.

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 01-26-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey tony I may be in the market for a fast here in the upcomming months what would you charge to buy a 102 fast from you and have your port work done on it? I am also military if that helps you can shoot me a PM with the price.

My ported ls3 seems to flatten the HP out at 6200rpms which is pretty low for my 418 with a g6x3 cam, do you think I would see good gains from one of your fast 102s with ls3 cnc ported heads?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

and BTW I think both these guys make great products, Vengance does not claim they make the most power, but they are right in there pricing is adiquet with the power gains they make. tony spends alot more time and R and D on just fast intakes therefore thats where the price difference comes in and they probably are a little bit more optimized for power
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Tony,
Any plans of releasing a multi piece composite intake manifold for ls engines?
I see one carb multi piece composite intake is available for sbc from AFR.
Cut out the middle man, design youre own
Old 01-27-2012, 03:22 AM
TECH Regular

You cannot go wrong with either one ..

For me; I'm going with Brian Tooley. He ported match my 102mm FAST with TFS 235 heads
Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 AM
Teching In

spare us the sales pitch tony

god sake-you do good work and they do good work

move on-next topic please

take a joke tony....lol.....

Last edited by frank baba; 01-27-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frank baba

nice 1st post
Old 01-27-2012, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by frank baba

troll much?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I have a FAST 92 ported by Vengence and all they did was grind down the bumps on each port. I went through and shaved off all the extra casting marks and sanded them down nice and smooth. I was surprised to see how many there were, probably spend 4 hrs or so doing it.
Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
They don't even compare. I've personally seen both and the vengeance looks like someone took a sanding roll for 5 minutes to the runners. Sommer86 measured the ported difference and Vengeance took .001 of an inch out of the runners. Mamo takes a giant pile of plastic out, he posted a pic of it. I'd go with him all day

I agree... my Vengeance "ported" intake was more like rubbed with sand paper, lol. Neadless to say, it was sold FAST! And yes, I have pics of the Vengeance intake vs. a stock 102.... it's VERY minimal material removal to say the least.

Originally Posted by JPH
Hmm, that is a good question? I think I would put my money on Tonys stuff. Tony has probably spent more time on a Flowbench and a Dyno(100s of hrs I would guess)trying to tweak and change that intake runner port design around more to were it suits him and is right/correct for the given application.
Exactly, he has put these on flow benches and has spent a ton of time optimizing them. He takes his time and the quality of the work is obvious. He's even got a new way of porting these. Not only that, but he even took the time to look at MY personal AFR heads and make sure that the porting would match up fine. He even took them with him!!

He even gave me some more valuable info on how I can get even more performance out of the rest of my build as well. He's an overall good guy and really cares about the final product. He's a real guys, guys.

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i've had two Mamofied FASTs...they're worth the premium. Tony has it down to a science and i honestly think he could port a FAST blindfolded better than some people out there. i can't speak for Vengeance, other than i've had good experiences buying parts from them, but i know you wouldn't be disappointed with one of Tony's intakes.
Yep....I agree. All I've ever heard of Vengeance are good things and the tuning is supposed to be good also but their porting of intakes I'm not too fond of. I've had one and was not impressed. Sorry, not bashing but posting my opinion. After seeing a buddy of mine's Mamo ported FAST shortly after getting mine from Vengeance I put mine up for sale immediatly. In fact Tony's working on my new intake right now. I will let you guys know how everything turns out.

Mike
Old 01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
and BTW I think both these guys make great products, Vengance does not claim they make the most power, but they are right in there pricing is adiquet with the power gains they make. tony spends alot more time and R and D on just fast intakes therefore thats where the price difference comes in and they probably are a little bit more optimized for power
+1
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
troll much?
Don't tell him that he will troll every single one of your posts, search everyone of your posts, find one person you had a disagreement with, then ride their nuts to glory all the while trying to start more ****, and while also calling you a nut hugger like he does everyone else.

That sum it up good enough for you frank?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sommer86
I agree... my Vengeance "ported" intake was more like rubbed with sand paper, lol. Neadless to say, it was sold FAST! And yes, I have pics of the Vengeance intake vs. a stock 102.... it's VERY minimal material removal to say the least.

Exactly, he has put these on flow benches and has spent a ton of time optimizing them. He takes his time and the quality of the work is obvious. He's even got a new way of porting these. Not only that, but he even took the time to look at MY personal AFR heads and make sure that the porting would match up fine. He even took them with him!!

He even gave me some more valuable info on how I can get even more performance out of the rest of my build as well. He's an overall good guy and really cares about the final product. He's a real guys, guys.

Yep....I agree. All I've ever heard of Vengeance are good things and the tuning is supposed to be good also but their porting of intakes I'm not too fond of. I've had one and was not impressed. Sorry, not bashing but posting my opinion. After seeing a buddy of mine's Mamo ported FAST shortly after getting mine from Vengeance I put mine up for sale immediatly. In fact Tony's working on my new intake right now. I will let you guys know how everything turns out.

Mike
Do you have any pics of the different porting jobs?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't ported on intakes yet, but have done cylinder head porting in the past. I will say this is the kind of thing that the more you know, the more you find out you still need to learn & the hours really do rack up doing this kind of work. Airflow is definitely a science in itself that doesn't necessarily follow the rules you think it does.
just removing casting bumps &flashing can take up enough time on itself, although it is something many a skilled craftsman can do.Going beyond that is so much more complex than most realize.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98BLOWNZ28
Do you have any pics of the different porting jobs?

I woudl like to see pictures as well

Quick Reply: Mamo ported 102 vs Veng. Racing ported 102?